Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 17, 2006, 12:12 AM   #1

I've had a Corsair 1GB SD 66x SD for sometime and it is reported as 976MB.
I bought a new one, also a Corsair brand 1GB. This one is a 133x SD and reports the capacity as 953MB.

Right click on your SD card drive then properties. Report back the MB you see...
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2006, 6:24 AM   #2

Memory cards are no different than harddives. Check your properties on any hard drive and the actual capacity is less than stated. Manufacturers employ rounding (there is a mathmatical reason related to an actual kb being 1024 bytes, not 1000 but I'n not qualified to explain it:?). Also some of the capacity is dedicated to overhead, ie operating programs, which will vary from vendor to vendor.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 2:43 PM   #3

rjseeney wrote:
Quote:
Memory cards are no different than harddives. Check your properties on any hard drive and the actual capacity is less than stated. Manufacturers employ rounding (there is a mathmatical reason related to an actual kb being 1024 bytes, not 1000 but I'n not qualified to explain it:?). Also some of the capacity is dedicated to overhead, ie operating programs, which will vary from vendor to vendor.
Well you missed the entire point. I'm quite aware of this. My concerns were over the ~25MB difference between the two. Both are Corsair.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2006, 3:17 PM   #4

It has to do with formating, and how it is formated. I had a similar issue 2 years ago with a 256MB SD chip. First it formated at 253MB, then I formated again, and it was 240MB! I found that windows made it one, and the device made it another. Try formating in windows and the device, and see if you get different capacities. Make sure you do a full format, not a quick one. It is also very possible that different manufacturers have different formating tecniques, or even different REAL capacities.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote