Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 20, 2006, 2:53 AM   #1

i have moved from olympus and xd cards, can some one recommend memory cards for pentak, also a quick explanation of the differences in cards as well please. as there seems to be a large ammount available

thank you, alan
jad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2006, 4:37 AM   #2

Suggest that you post this in the Pentax/Samsung DSRL forum as I'm sure there are plenty of users that will help.

My Pentax *istDS has a USB 1.1 interface so there's no real advantage to using high speed cards if the camera is to be used to transfer the images.

Also, tests carried out with standard & high speed cards showed that the storage time was the same for both cards - i.e. no speed increase when using cards in the camera.

However, faster cards will allow you to transfer images at higher speeds using a dedicated high speed USB 2 Card Reader which, given the capacity of modern cards would prove an advantage.

I've always used a card reader to transfer images & have2 Integral x60 1G cards & 1 Kingston x50 2G card.

I would suggest staying with a branded name & purchasing from a good dealer so as to avoid the possibly of 'fake' cards that seem to causing concern for some.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2006, 12:25 PM   #3
Administrator

jad123 wrote:
Quote:
i have moved from olympus and xd cards, can some one recommend memory cards for pentak, also a quick explanation of the differences in cards as well please. as there seems to be a large ammount available

thank you, alan

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:09 PM   #4

I have 6 2GB SD cards and 2 1GB SD cards - Transcend, Kingston, PQI, PNY, Corsair and Patroit. All are either 133x or 150x. I buy them on sale, since they are cheaper than carrying a laptop while on vacation. I have a Canon SD500 P&S and a Pentax K100D dSLR. No problems with any of the cards or with the cameras. They just work - first time, every time, all the time. I have over 7,000 images. I come back from vacation and download them on the system for processing/storage.

They all have good write up - the only brand I would stay away from would be A-Data that apparently has had some problems - read and writing on 4GB SD cards.

I find that Frys Electronics mail order always has a good selection either at retail or on sale. If they are on sale, they usually have free shipping. If not on sale - wait a week.

http://shop4.outpost.com/search?quer...om=0&to=24

They have a 10 day return on SD cards, if for some reason they do not work, send them back. Never had to return any.....

Hope that helps.... PS - NO I have no interest in Fry's - other than they have good prices, and quick shipping.

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote