Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 22, 2006, 9:27 AM   #1

I just found this site and you guys give some great information. I do have a question.

I have a Canon S1 1S and love it. I'm building a mount for it so that I can mount it to my motorcycle. I am using a 64 meg CF disk in it and can get only 44 seconds of video. I read one writeup where a guy used a 1 gig and could get 15 minutes of video. I would love to be able to video some of my rides.

I read also on this site that my camera will hold up to 8gigs....I was looking at getting a 4 gig microdrive. Can anybody tell me if this would be a good match for my camera especially for videoing? I'm looking at the Hitachi 4 GB Microdrive CF2 Media card and the Seagate 4 GB Microdrive CF2.

Would you suggest another card besides a microdrive that would give me better and longer video times.

Thanks for your help.

David

mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2006, 8:32 AM   #2

David,

6GB Hitachi and 4GB/8GB with Seagate are made for S1. Ensure part numbers and Compatibility list of your S1-is at both side before buy.

I am also planning to buy (most probably 6GB Hitachi) here in India.

Good day.

Rakesh Gupta
rakeshkota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2006, 12:48 PM   #3

Links for the compatibility of cameras with hitachi/ seagate microdrive:

http://www.seagate.com/support/photo/photo_comp.pdf

http://www.hitachigst.com/portal/sit...7bca4bac4f0a0/

http://www.hitachigst.com/hddt/situd...neral?Openview

- Rakesh Gupta

Old Oct 23, 2006, 1:59 PM   #4
Administrator

You can find 4GB CompactFlash Cards for under $100 now.

When comparing throughput, make sure to look closely at the numbers. Most microdrives are rated in megabits per second versus megabytes per second (and there are 8 bits in a byte). ;-) Some of the newer ones are getting faster though.

At one point, there was a much larger price difference between a microdrive and flash memory cards. But, that's not the case anymore. There's just not enough price difference from my perspective to warrant using them. So, I see no reason to go with a microdrive over solid state media (no moving parts, less power draw, no restrictions on altitude, no requirement for a wider CF II card slot, etc.).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:05 AM   #5

I agree with JimC. Microdrives or related products working at around 5000 RPM can not be treated as reliable for whole life if compared with solid state CF cards. If pricing of 2GB CF are below 100$, I would definately go with 2 nos. of CFs instead of buying single microdrive.

- Rakesh Gupta
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:52 AM   #6
Administrator

You can even find some 4GB CompactFlash cards for under $100 now.

4GB CompactFlash Cards at newegg.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote