Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Oct 28, 2006, 10:52 PM   #1

I think I have settled on getting a 2 Gig CF card instead of a microdrive card. Does anybody know anything about the Transcend and PNY Cards? They are on sale for a 2 Gig for $49.00 . Would they be any good for a Canon S1 1S camera or should I stick with SanDisk for $69.00.

Thanks

David

mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:50 PM   #2

I myself love Transcend cards. Using SiSoft Sandra I've tested 80X Transcend 1GB cards against ADATA 150x cards. The Transcend 80X had much faster writes than the ADATA 150x. Newegg has the 2GB 150x Transcend for $44 and the 4GB for $85

I use them in a cheezy Canon A610 that I love. It reads big Transcend cards just fine.

I don't know anything about the PNY cards, but the Transcend should be fast enough for anything.

Yikes, you're talking Compact Flash? I didn't know anything used that anymore. Might as well delete this post... Sorry! - Joe
JoeLansing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 12:24 AM   #3

Transcend is a good company that's made excellent memory products for many years. Don't know that much about PNY, as they entered the memory market targeting the lower-end so I've never been very interested in their products.
Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:24 AM   #4

JoeLansing wrote:
Quote:
Yikes, you're talking Compact Flash?* I didn't know anything used that anymore.
Every dSLR, except a few of the newer low end entry level models, use CompactFlash, as do many of the high end P&S cameras.

I have used PNY computer memory for years without any problems, so I would not expect any problems with their CF memory cards.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 1:22 PM   #5
Administrator

I've got one PNY CompactFlash card that's been working OK in my KM 5D.

It's not the fastest card in the world (it's just a standard speed card I picked up at a local Staples a while back). I've got some 4x, 12x and 40x Lexar cards that all test a bit faster in this camera model.

But, the standard speed PNY card does test about 4 times as fast as a 50x Kingston Elite Pro in this camera. In this particular camera, almost anything tests faster than a Kingston Elite Pro card though. For some reason, they don't work very well in some of the Konica Minolta models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2006, 2:00 PM   #6
Administrator

P.S.

I'd suggest making sure to upgrade your firmware to the latest version for best compatibility with CompactFlash media.

The S1 IS had some compatibility issue with some CompactFlash Cards (for example, some of the Kingston Elite Pro Cards) that were solved with a newer firmware release from Canon. I don't know if any other brands were impacted or not (the Kingstons were the ones I saw users reporting most of the problems with). But, it would probably be a good idea to update it.

Your camera may or may not already have newer firmware installed (they changed it during the production run). You can check for a black dot on the inside of your battery cover to tell (see the photos explaining how on this page):

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/pss1is/firmware-e.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 3:18 PM   #7

I have 6 2GB SD cards and 2 1GB SD cards - Transcend, Kingston, PQI, PNY, Corsair and Patroit. All are either 133x or 150x. I buy them on sale, since they are cheaper than carrying a laptop while on vacation. I have a Canon SD500 P&S and a Pentax K100D dSLR. No problems with any of the cards or with the cameras. They just work - first time, every time, all the time. I have over 7,000 images. I come back from vacation and download them on the system for processing/storage.

They all have good write up - the only brand I would stay away from would be A-Data that apparently has had some problems - read and writing on 4GB SD cards.

I find that Frys Electronics mail order always has a good selection either at retail or on sale. If not on sale - wait a week.

http://shop4.outpost.com/search?quer...om=0&to=24

They have a 10 day return on SD cards, if for some reason they do not work, send them back. Never had to return any.....

Hope that helps....

They have a 1Gb card on sale - Kingston for $12.99 after rebate with free shipping. You can't beat that...

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/446...20Memory:Spot5

interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2006, 7:53 PM   #8

[align=left]I found a 1 gig Transcend card for $19 so I bought it. It works great and works great with my video on my 1S S1. On my old card I could only get 44 seconds of video. With no other settings with the 1 Gig I was able to get 14 minutes...setting the camera to a lower speed setting I was able to get 28 minutes from it. That's all I need for what I want.[/align]
[align=left]If I need anything better I can borrow my wife's camcorder...I think she would loan it to me.[/align]
[align=left]Thanks for the help.[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left][/align]
mlsa3 is offline   Reply With Quote