Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:54 AM   #1

Default CF Brands

Hello!
I would appreciate some help with choosing CF card brand. I think I'll be making it for a 512MB och 256MB CF card, and now I've come to think of the one-trillion of brands that make CF cards. Are there any producers that you'll recommend/disrecommend for a Nikon CP5400?

What are your reactions upon mentioning these brands;

Kingston
Generic
Dataram
SanDisk
Viking
Toshiba
Transcend

(Feel free to recommend other brands...)

Thanks,
Johannes, Sweden
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 15, 2003, 10:58 AM   #2

depending on your country of origin the warrenties will vary considerably. when i choose a card it is based on the write speeds and the warranty.

1- the write speed must be equal to or exceed the cameras capabilities
2- i accept nothing less then a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer, not a ebay type dealer.

this insures that if anything arises the fix is in or the card won't slow down the camera. there are plenty out there that do too.

you left out:
Lexar
Delkin

ref this for relatave performance. this is based on pro camera type use. digicams will be slower but at least you can see how some cards can perform.
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 2:10 PM   #3

Hmmm. And what about speeds? I want something to match a CP5400, but I dunno how fast it is. I believe ordinary cards such as a Kingston 512MB CF would do the job as well as a SanDisk... And if I'm right, it won't matter if i buy an Ultra-class card. Correct?
Johannes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2003, 4:22 PM   #4

start out at a 12x card. that already exceeds the xfr rate of a 4500. 1x = 150K/sec.. they are more then reasonably priced. both lexar and delkin are lifetime warrantied at that level of card. both also have fairly responsive customer service.
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:29 PM   #5

As I have recently found out with my 5700 the speed of the CF card is not the issue.

Nikon has crippled the 5700 by default (who knows why :? )

Nikon has the setting located in Set-Up 1 > Monitor Options > Shutter Release Speed >

Normal (default)
or
Quick Shutter Release

Now, I can take 7 to 8 - 2560x1920 JPGs in a row before the cameras internal memory buffer fills up.

This may or may not apply to the 5400.
koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2003, 6:42 PM   #6

there is a price to pay for every increase in speed in a digital camera- its energy consumption. if you want higher xfr rates you have to give something else up. either money (for a better camera) or performance somewhere else in the current price range camera.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 4:50 PM   #7

Default Cards

I have used a few brands and happiest with the Lexar and Viking cards. Both brands have given me no problems.

Amazon currently has the Viking 512 MB for $89.00 after rebate which is a great deal.

Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...8/mjbdesign-20
mrtoad is offline   Reply With Quote