Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:54 AM   #1

I'm planning to purchasea Canon PowerShot A710 IS camera. I plan to use it on my 3-4 week upcoming trip where I'll probably take at least 600 pictures (not sure about any movie?). The guy I talked to at the store today recommended I use a 2 GB card, and really encouraged that I get the Sandisk Ultra II instead of the regular one. He felt that my pictures would take faster.

Being that there's a significant price difference between the regular Sandisk and the Ultra II (both in 2GB), was I given good advice? Would you go for the Ultra II?

Thanks!
glger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 4:09 PM   #2

Anyone? If not, I guess I'll purchase the Ultra II.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:00 PM   #3

I use an Ultra II in my A710. I have a "standard" Toshiba 1gig as a backup. I don't really notice any difference other than the Ulta downloads to my PC faster.

I have never tried any tests like timingmultiple frame shots to see how many I get per second. I have the camera set for a 2 second review of the shot just taken and with that setting they both perform the same in camera.

If I was to get just one card, I would go with the Ultra II. From what I see in all the forums, it seems to have a reputation of reliability. Wouldn't want a card failure to ruin the vacation picrures.
outpost05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:37 PM   #4

Thanks.... I'll get the 2GB Ultra II ... one of the big name electronics stores in my area has it "on sale" now for $89 less a $20 mail-in rebate; so that's what I'll get. I noticed in the Black Friday ad previews that a number of 1GB standard Sandisk SDs are on sale; so I'll get a backup. I even saw one of them has an online Thanksgiving Day special for $2.99 ..... but unless I were buying something else, I guess the shipping would be prohibitive! :G
Old Nov 17, 2006, 11:41 AM   #5

I have 6 2GB SD cards and 2 1GB SD cards - Transcend, Kingston, PQI, PNY, Corsair and Patroit. All are either 133x or 150x. I buy them on sale, since they are cheaper than carrying a laptop while on vacation. I have a Canon SD500 P&S and a Pentax K100D dSLR. No problems with any of the cards or with the cameras. They just work - first time, every time, all the time. I have over 7,000 images. I come back from vacation and download them on the system for processing/storage.

I have had no real problem in taking the images and the transfer to the memory with either my Canon or the Pentax.

All the flash memory is produced by a few major manufractures. So the memory is pretty much the same. I would however buy from a major retail vendor and not off of ebay.

I find that Frys Electronics mail order (their website is called outpost.com) always has a good selection either at retail or on sale - and the price is usually much better than any other place. If they are on sale, they usually have free shipping. If not on sale - wait a week.

http://shop1.outpost.com/product/468...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

They have a 10 day return on SD cards, if for some reason they do not work, send them back. Never had to return any.....

Hope that helps.... PS - NO I have no interest in Fry's - other than they have good prices, and quick shipping.

On my last vacation to Alaska, I shot 1,500 images and about 20 minutes of movies on my SD500, so if your not carrying a laptop, I would take some extra memory....

just a suggestion.
interested_observer is offline   Reply With Quote