Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:47 AM   #1

Hi, Just purchased 2Panasonic lgbSD cards for a 3 week vacation to Europe. Are these good card to use with Panasonic DMC FZ5? Of course manual say to use a Panasonic Card. Any feedback would be appreciated for I know zero about this. :love: Thank you!
ladykimono is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:17 AM   #2
Administrator

Yes. Panasonic components are very good for Secure Digital. I would personally buy a Panasonic SD card before I'd trust another brand, even for different camera models.

I haven't kept up with newer cards. But, at one time, Simpletech cards in 256MB or larger sizes used the same components as Panasonic cards. Ditto for Lexar's High Speed Secure Digital Cards.

Sandisk, Panasonic and Toshiba developed Secure Digital. So, most other "manufacturers" are using rebranded components from the "big 3" SD manufacturers, and Panasonic components tend to be the most reliable and compatible between camera brands from reports I've seen.

You may find that having only 2GB of storage to be lacking for a 3 week trip though. I usually use that much space in one day of shooting. I usually shoot in raw though.

If you plan on bringing a laptop along, that would be a way to offload images at night to free up space for the next day's shoot. Or, you may be able to find a store that can burn the images to CD for you.

You can also find portable storage devices that let you copy images to them. These typically have built in card readers and use a laptop hard disk drive for storage.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:23 PM   #3

Thank you - so informative. I'm borrowing daughter's 2-512 and 2-128 cards so think this will be enough. Camera is 5mp but just need everyday photos so should I shoot at 3 mp to get more pics? Does this make diff in quality of photos? Setting is FINE. Sorry, new camera and am not too smart about these things. My indoor flash pics at P setting are not too good on this camera. Is it me? Outdoor shots OK but not Great. Maybe I should use simple mode?

:yawn:anyone - please help!!

Old Nov 25, 2006, 12:52 PM   #4
Administrator

I'd suggest shooting with the highest resolution and quality settings your camera supports. Yes, that takes up more memory card space.

You never know when you'll want to blow up an image to a larger size (or someone else wants a larger version of one of your images). You'll also have a little more room for cropping if shooting in your model's highest available resolution. If you don't, you may regret using other settings later if a once in a lifetime opportunity presents itself and you're not shooting at higher resolution and quality setting.

Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:05 PM   #5

You are so kind. Like I said not too happy w/ pic quality. Willing to purchase another camera before my vac. that uses SD cards up to $400. More than 4x zoom - mine has 12x optical. Suggestions, anybody for good quality indoor/outdoor pic at auto setting - point and shoot? Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 4:41 PM   #6
Administrator

Most cameras are not going to give great results indoors using the built in flash if that's what you're finding is lacking.

To do significantly better, you'd want a model capable of using an external flash that you could bounce from the ceiling for a more diffused and even light source.

If you're not using a flash for your indoor photos, shooting stationary subjects, then you may need to set your white balance to match the temperature of the lighting for best results.