Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 30, 2006, 12:27 AM   #1

Help me Guys,

I tried everything already.. I even bought new Sandisk ultra II 512MB SD card but still my Casio Exilim EX-Z850 is displaying Card Error after inserting the SD Card sometimes only the lens extract no display. Does this means my card slot is broken.

I already update the firmware to 1.1B
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2006, 6:28 AM   #2

Well, if you have bought and tried a brand new memory card, then I would be looking at the camera as the source of the problem.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 3:34 AM   #3

Thanks .. butdoes this mean.. is it already defective interface or just abent pin.. how much it will cost me to repair..anyidea. This is only the problem i encounter i can still used the camera using the internal memory perfect image.. cannot maximize the 8m pixel capability..
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 11:10 AM   #4

Whilst it does look like the camera might be at fault, try out both cards using a card reader on a PC or a second camera - that will confirm things one way or another.

Also, check to see that all sockets on the 'defective' card are clear - a pin could have broken off & gotten stuck which would also account for the second card showing as an error.

If it is the camera, then it will most likely have to go back to the dealer for repair with a replacement socket - although they will likely change one or more of the component parts.

These pins are very close together & if one has become bent/broken then I doubt that there's much that can be done to bent it back straight.

If you succeed, then there's always the likelihood that it will break off into the card itself.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:34 PM   #5

hazelnut wrote:
Quote:
Help me Guys,

I tried everything already.. I even bought new Sandisk ultra II 512MB SD card but still my Casio Exilim EX-Z850 is displaying Card Error after inserting the SD Card sometimes only the lens extract no display. Does this means my card slot is broken.

I already update the firmware to 1.1B
Assuming you're out of warranty, you could try cleaning the contacts if they're not visibly damaged. Dip a card you don't really need (such as a 16MB card that comes with a camera) in rubbing alcohol, and engage a few timies in the socket. Wipe down the contacts. Repeat a few times. Let alcohol evaporate.

If that doesn't fix it, it maybe cheaper to sell the dead camera on eBay as salvage and buy a new one rather than trying to let the factory fix it.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote