Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 2, 2006, 8:36 PM   #1

I'm going to India for several weeks in January and would like to stop at Internet cafes and easily transfer photos from my CF cards (2GB: Corsair 133X, and Kingston standard) so that I can attach them to emails or download them to an online storage site. Are there small card readers that I can just plug-in to a USB port and do the transfer that way, or do they require that software/drivers be installed on the host computer for the photos to be transferred from the cards? In any case, what is the best solution to my task that will be compact, efficient, and reasonably priced?
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2006, 8:36 AM   #2

Windows XP should just recognize the card reader. Windows 98 will, most likely, require drivers. Not sure about Windows 2000, but seeing as it came out around the same time as Win98, it will probably require drivers.

So if the internet cafes are using XP you should be good to go.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 1:28 PM   #3

Thanks. From what I've heard, I should be able to find Internet cafes running a current operating system, so all I need now is some recommendations on reliable and compact card readers.
kudzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2006, 4:54 PM   #4

Makes sure it supports USB 2.0 (Hi-Speed), otherwise any card reader should work just fine. Also make sure it supports your card formfactor (CF, SD, MS, etc.)
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote