Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 4, 2006, 8:17 AM   #1

Hiya all

Bit of a dilemma here,

I bought a SD-CF card adaptor from Maplins http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=48016

My issue is that I just cannot take a photo with my Nikon D70 with this adaptor (I've used a 1gb x50 and a 4gb x150 SD cards). I take one photo, the picture will come up on the view finder but the photo will not write to the SD card and then the D70 will lock up. (and I have checked the write-protect on teh SD card)

I can use the adaptor fine with my PC.

I need some advice whether if anyone has the same problem as me and/or shed some light on alternative brands.

Thanks

Kj
kjeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 4, 2006, 11:51 AM   #2
Administrator

Why beat your head against the wall :angry:... just buy a CF card, they're incredibly cheap now. I've seen fast 4GB CF cards for $100 or less and they are just about giving away 1GB cards. Nikon will undoubtedly tell you that the camera has never been tested or certified for use with any adapters and should not be used with anything other than a CF card.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2006, 6:05 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm looking for an alternative to utilise the 10GB worth of SD cards I have which I used to use with my PDA (movies and MP3's).

Old Dec 4, 2006, 9:40 PM   #4

Can your D70 format the SD cards in the adapter?
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2006, 8:22 PM   #5

dr_spock wrote:
Quote:
Can your D70 format the SD cards in the adapter?
Formatting is fine.

just a update - borrowed a different SD/CF adaptor from my friend and it works fine on my D70 (and his 350D).

Shooting in Jpeg and Raw are both ok - the only drawback is that it takes three times longer to write from the camera to the SD card (i've tried several SD cards of different speeds and all are the same).

JPEG -9 consecutive shots
D70 - Sandisk II 1gb - write time = 6.53 seconds
D70 - no brand x150 4GB SD card =18.10 seconds

RAW-4 consecutive shots
D70 - Sandisk II 1gb - write time = 6.46 seconds
D70 - no brand x150 4GB SD card = 17.83 seconds

Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:15 PM   #6

I have a few different cameras but am of course only using one at a time. I was thinking that the SD-CF adaptor would be good for me because I could use the same card in all of my cameras. That way, no matter what camera I had, I could veiw photos taken with the other camera (they are all Canons). Sometimes I'm like, "Hey, check out this picture I took..." and then I realize that I had the other camera that day and can't show off my picture.

My cameras are a Pro1, s400, and sd20. None of which are really fast anyway. I wonder if there will be any problem with write speed like the DSLR user above mentioned.
tjdean01 is offline   Reply With Quote