Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 5, 2006, 4:02 PM   #1

I've read Steve's review about the Canon A85... but I couldn't find one thing i'm looking for...

...It happens to me once in a while that I delete picturesthatI've taken and after awhile I needed them back...

With every camera I had, it was pretty easy to do - using a program called "DIR".

This program is working only when the camera is connected to the PC via USB connection and shown AS A NEW DRIVE on my computer.

Since the A85 is not shown as a drive on my computer (it is shown with the software that comes with it)- it is impossible to use the program to restore deleted pictures I took...

Do you have any suggestions how to make the camera to be recognized as a new drive on the computer? Or do you know any other program that can help with this problem?

hope you will help me... thx!!
eeoo25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2006, 5:00 PM   #2

Take the memory card out of your camera and put it in a card reader. The card reader should show up as a drive under Windows.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2006, 9:01 PM   #3

eeoo25 wrote:
Quote:
I've read Steve's review about the Canon A85... but I couldn't find one thing i'm looking for...

...It happens to me once in a while that I delete picturesthatI've taken and after awhile I needed them back...

With every camera I had, it was pretty easy to do - using a program called "DIR".

This program is working only when the camera is connected to the PC via USB connection and shown AS A NEW DRIVE on my computer.

Since the A85 is not shown as a drive on my computer (it is shown with the software that comes with it)- it is impossible to use the program to restore deleted pictures I took...

Do you have any suggestions how to make the camera to be recognized as a new drive on the computer? Or do you know any other program that can help with this problem?

hope you will help me... thx!!
If you immediately removed the card and put it away, you have a chance, but if you took more pictures, you can pretty much say bye bye to erased pictures.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2006, 4:31 PM   #4

amazingthailand wrote:
Quote:
Take the memory card out of your camera and put it in a card reader. The card reader should show up as a drive under Windows.
What do you mean by a card reader? ..I don't think that's something I have...

Is there any other solution to do that with some kind of a program that will make the camera to be shown as a drive? or something else?

thx for the quick reply amazingthailand..
Old Dec 8, 2006, 7:35 AM   #5

It's a little device that attaches to your computer via USB port. You put your card in, and it shows up as a "Removable Drive" on your PC.

Attached Images

Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2006, 11:40 AM   #6
Administrator

eeoo25 wrote:
Quote:
What do you mean by a card reader? ..I don't think that's something I have...

Is there any other solution to do that with some kind of a program that will make the camera to be shown as a drive? or something else?
It lets a memory card show up as a removable drive. Get one. You'll get faster transfer times comparing to using your camera anyway. ;-)

Many Canon models are not USB Mass Storage Compliant, and it's probably more trouble than it's worth trying to get a driver working for them (although I have seen a few reports from time to time that some of Canon's drivers work). Even if you get a driver working, you may have another interpretation layer in the camera interfering with your ability to recover images. A card reader is a better way.

Card Readers are cheap. You can pick up a USB 2.0 Card Reader for around $10. Most major Office Supply and Home Electronics Stores carry them (Best Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Depot, etc.).

You may want to get a "multi-card" reader while you're at it, just in case you need a reader for another card type later.

Here are 67 USB Readers Card that support CompactFlash at newegg, sorted by price:

USB Card Readers that Support CompactFlash at newegg.com

Make sure you get one that supports CompactFlash (the type of memory card your A85 uses) if you don't buy a multi-card reader that supports CF *and* other formats (and they have multi-card readers starting at under $10, too). I personally prefer a reader with a separate cable, versus one that plugs into a USB port directly.

BTW, you can still download Digital Image Recovery from here if you don't have a copy:

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2006, 8:02 AM   #7

thank you very much for the help!!

... I guess there's no other option than buying a card reader...

thx!!