Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 14, 2006, 10:06 PM   #1

I have the ORIGINAL muvo2 with the "bounty" - 4GB Hitachi Microdrive.

Is this drive fast enough for the Digital Rebel XTi, or should I just get a 2GB CF card? If so, what speed/brandCF card? This is for my daughter's new camera . I got the XTi body for $650 including tax from Dell -- if they will ever shipit!) and am picking up an older 50 mm 1.8 (not mark II) metal mount lense.

Thanks!!!!
superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 15, 2006, 12:39 PM   #2
Administrator

The Microdrives used in the Muvo players have a reputation for not working in cameras (because unlike the retail packaged drives sold separately, most of them used in the players are *not* CompactFlash Compliant).

The forums here have lots of stories from people that bought these players to get the drives from them, then finding out that they don't work. So, don't be surprised if it doesn't (although you might get lucky if you're good at repartioning drives to get around hidden partitions, etc., and can find a combination that works, if it's got the right firmware in the drive). But, the odds are against it working in a camera.

Here are some CF speed tests for the Rebel XT that you may find useful. Rob doesn't have any for the newer XTi yet:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

As for whether or not it's "fast enough" (if it even works after you create the right partitions using a good partitioning tool) depends on your daughter. There won't be any difference in speed between media, until the camera's internal buffer fills up (and how many shots it will hold depends on the cameras settings used for image quality/resolution). Once the buffer fills up, then the camera will slow down due to write speed limitations to media, depending on shooting mode (for example, a raw file will take longer to write compared to a jpeg file).

See the XTi review conclusion section here for more details. If she's not shooting something like sports where the buffer is filling up, card speed probably won't make any difference to her. But, as inexpensive as a reasonably fast card is, I'd probably get a relatively fast card anyway. Once the buffer fills up, flush time to media will be much faster with a newer CF card, versus a slower microdrive. The Ultra II or Extreme III cards from Sandisk are popular choices, as are Lexar's faster cards.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_...elxti_pg7.html

Quote:
Continuous capture revealed the XTi's improved buffer performance. Shooting Large/Fine images, the XTi captured images at a rate of 3 frames per second (fps) for a depth of 27 shots (sometimes more depending on the size of the compressed JPEG file). The XTi's performance was inconsistent with a full buffer. Most cameras full-buffer capture rate slows to a consistent interval, but the XTi paused between 2 and 7 seconds before capturing another 6-frame burst at 3fps. It took about 16 seconds to clear a buffer full of Large/Fine images. This performance was observed using a fast Kingston Ultimate 100x 2GB CF memory card.

Performance slowed when shooting RAW; the XTi captured images at 3 fps but only to a depth of 10 shots, with subsequent shots coming in bursts of two after a 4 second delay; it took 22 seconds to flush a buffer full of RAW images. The XTi slowed further capturing RAW + Large/Fine images, shooting at 3fps to a depth of only 9 shots, subsequent shots coming in bursts of two or three after delays of between 3 and 15 seconds, and taking nearly 30 seconds to flush a full buffer. These test results were observed shooting Program Auto and AWB using a Kingston 2-GB 100x CF card. Buffer clearing performance improved when a Lexar Professional 80X 2GB CF card was substituted: JPEG took 12 seconds, RAW 12 seconds and RAW + JPEG 16 seconds to write the buffer full of images to the CF card.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 1:49 PM   #3

"most of them used in the players are *not* CompactFlash Compliant"

I agree 100%, but the one that I havewas made before they changed the firmware to make it incompatible with CF II.

Thanks for the explanation, and I think the card will meet her needs forher style of shooting.
superfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2006, 2:24 PM   #4
Administrator

If you find out otherwise (or decide you want to keep using the player), you can get 4GB CompactFlash Cards for under $100 now.

Here are some 4GB Cards at newegg.com, starting out at $59.99:

4GB CompactFlash Cards at Newegg.com

Smaller sizes can be found for even less (and vendors are almost giving away 1GB cards anymore, since prices have dropped so much on memory lately).

Old Dec 15, 2006, 7:39 PM   #5

If you are sure your muvo player has the older compatable MD, then yes it will work in any digiatl camera that can take a CF type II card. I am using 3 of them, all ripped out of the original muvo's. I use them in an older Kodak SLR/n (circa 2004) and in a newer Sony R1 - all without any problems.

However, CF memory card prices have come down significantly and the cost of a 2 or 4GB CF solid state card is now very cheap. I just bought an 8GB CF card for consirerably less than I paid for my muvo ($199).
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2006, 12:51 PM   #6

How about regular microdrives? The CF cards are way more expensive than the microdrives. probably getting an 8GB.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 9:31 AM   #7
Administrator

Huh?

Where do you see a good Microdrive that's significantly less expensive than you can buy an 8GB CompactFlash card for?

Newegg has 8GB Solid State CompactFlash cards starting out at $131.99:

8GB CompactFlash Cards at Newegg.com

The lowest price I see for a Seagate 8GB drive right now in our price search engines from reputable vendors is slightly higher than that (not lower). Newegg had them for $129.99 (only a couple of bucks cheaper than soem of the 8GB CompactFlash Cards they offer). But, they're sold out of the Seagate 8GB drives and most other vendors want a few bucks or so more for them.

Given the same price, I'd go for solid state (no moving parts, lower power requirements, usually faster speed, better compatiblility with more devices since they'll usually fit in a standard versus larger CompactFlash II card slot, etc.).

I don't get the "way more expensive" part at all, unless you're looking at a cheaply made drive that may not be very compatible or reliable. Solid State memory has been coming down in price a lot, and I personally don't see any reason to consider a microdrive any longer.

Old Dec 18, 2006, 7:09 PM   #8

At B&H a 4GB hitachi microdrive is 124.95 and a Sandisk ultra II 4gb is 134.95, I can't find an 8gb at their site but I'm in canada and an 8GB CF card is over $500. A 6GB Hitachi microdrive is $289.99 in Canada. I may have exagerated by saying way more expensive but for a name brand the flash memory is more.
pagerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2006, 8:09 PM   #9
Administrator

An Ultra II is going to be faster. ;-)

The lower priced 8GB CompactFlash cards have just recently "hit the streets". So, it may take a while before dealers have more brands in stock and the competition heats up. I don't know about Canadian prices, and unfortunately, most U.S. Vendors probably don't ship to Canada. B&H does, but their 8GB CF offerings appear to be relatively limited right now. They're a stocking dealer, and the popular low cost vendors of flash media have the luxury of drop shipping from distributors (so it's easier for them to sell at lower prices for recently discounted items).

Give it a little time, and you should see favorable price comparisons for media elsewhere, too (and I'd have no problem using some of the lower cost 8GB CF cards that I see advertised at newegg, as I've got PQI and Transcend CF cards that have been reliable) if the fastest performance available wasn't a concern.

These cards (rated at 100x or faster) are probably going to be much faster than the microdrives from a performance perspective anyway, even if they're not as fast as the latest and greatest Sandisk and Lexar cards. Depending on the device, you may not need a card that fast anyway (more often than not, the camera's write speed to media ends up being a bottleneck, so you tend to get diminishing returns in most cameras after you reach a certain card speed).