Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:38 PM   #1

This question may have been addressed sometime in the past, does the screening process at airports have any effect on memory cards (ie: xray machines)? For those who have traveled recently, can you ask for and will they screen your equipment without going through xray? Undeveloped film and unused film can be affected according to the TSA site. I'll be traveling in a couple months and being prepared ahead of time would be nice!
DaMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:51 PM   #2

My laptop, DSLR and CF cards went through the X-Ray and the camera body was sniffed without being affected. A search of the photo forums will yield the same story.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2006, 12:32 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Yep I fly quite a lot and the laptop, camera, memory and mobile phones are all fine.... me on the other hand I'mmmmmmm noooowwtttttttt soohohohooooho surreee thattttatatatatatat some thi thi thi thi thing didn't happeppeppepennnn!!! LOL.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 3:30 AM   #4

I'd like to know if it's possible to request a hand search on your electronics? I'm a bit iffy on the laptop, pda, and especially the camera if I've got data on it. My cellphone mp3 player or GBASP I don't mind having it x-ray'ed but when it comes to stuff with data on it or film I'd rather take the extra hassle of asking for a hand screen then a "oh s------ something f'ed up".

I've not flown in about 17-18yrs now. I know times have changed and shoes have to come off causeomf prick with a deathwish wanted to blown themselves up with shoes. Anyways, what do the airports do now a days with electronics other then the sniff/swab test? Would be nice if I can get feedback from more then one person as all airports may be the same but some may be more anal then others or treat you differently.

Zero_Enigma
zero_enigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2006, 11:36 AM   #5

No...everything carried on the plane must go through the x-ray unit. Could you imagine how long the security lines would be if everyone requested a hand search of their carry-on bags? No, you couldn't, because you haven't flown in...18 years? Did they have jets then? (LOL). Everything in checked-in baggage gets x-rayed too. What do you think an x-ray will do to your electronics? Nothing. I fly quite frequently, and have gone through airports all over the US, and I always carry-on my digicam (with additional memory cards and batteries), GPS, cell phone, pager, and VHF radio. Never had a problem. The only time you would have a problem, is if they started using high strength electromagnetic fields...that would wreak havoc with computer monitors and memory storage. A lot of critical electrical components, designed for aerospace and nuclear use are routinely x-rayed for quality assurance reasons. They wouldn't do that if it was going to damage them.

Be prepared to take off more than your shoes at the airport...anything metal...belt buckles, hats, pocket change, coats - all go through the x-ray unit. Depending on the airport, you may have to go through the x-ray unit. Hear they can tell a lot about you in one of those things!

What airports are you flying out of/in to...maybe I've been there recently.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 11:27 PM   #6

memory cards are not effected by aiport x-ray scanners. They will do a hand screening of your mrmory casrds if they are all in a zip lock bag or a hard shell case and will put them sround the scanner but its not worth the hassel.

David
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 4:08 AM   #7

What about sendind cards through the mail?
digphotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:41 AM   #8

Mailing cards is not an issue as long a the card is packaged to prevent crushing as well as being protected from liquids. Something like a CD bubble pack mailing envelope would probably do if the card was in a small ziplock bag.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote