Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 26, 2003, 9:36 AM   #1

Default microdrive do's and don'ts

ritey o

i got my 1gb microdive today

what should i do and not do!

dont want to kill it.

nothin silly like dont wash it with fairy liquid

thanks
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:12 AM   #2

Don't use it on a mountain higher than 10,000ft above sea level.

As with any device with magneto electro-mechanical parts, keep it away from excessive vibration, shock,heat, humidity, corrosive or salt atmospheres, ultrasonic scanners, microwave oven magnets (unlikely!) and magnet resonance imaging tunnels!

Avoid plugging it in and out too often risking pin damage, by using the cam for downloads, erase and formats.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:56 AM   #3

can i format it via my 602 or on the computer?
davebaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2003, 3:09 PM   #4

I haven't re-formatted mine yet as I always delete everything after each shoot, never leaving old files scattered about the drive.

The camera format is pretty safe as it only cleans up the FAT table (It doesn't even write to every sector and blank out the drive). This is a 'quick' format. With a 1Gb drive and USB1 - you won't want to be doing full formats if you could anyway- they'd take a long time! I'd steer clear of PC formatting unless you hit a disaster crisis and point of no return. Remember the 602 only recognises FAT 16 (not Windows default FAT 32) and don't for X sake put your MD in an MP3 player or lend it to an Olympus mate.

Incidentally, I came across some posts recently of updated drivers (presumably later than the Windows/XP one's for the usb drive link). They supposedly fixed some download probs, mainly the 340Mb, but some 1Gb MD's were having this prob. Wouldn't worry unless you hit a file transfer problem.

If you can fill the drive in the 602's movie mode and transfer the lot OK you haven't a problem. Happy shooting - VOX
Old Jun 26, 2003, 3:55 PM   #5
NHL

The microdrive is pre-formatted... just insert and use it! 8)

I always format mine in the camera instead of deleting both on the 10D and D7, and they are interchangeable between the two cameras and my eDigital MP3 player... (and the Toshiba PDA :P)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 3:18 PM   #6

Don't eat your MD!
Don't use it in middle of Africa (temperature > 68 C)
Don't use it on north pole (watch the icebear behind you!)
DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 6:09 AM   #7

Be very carefull not to squeeze the microdrive on the flat side - that will drive the head into the platter.

I wouldn't worry much about the microdrive while it is in the camera - any shock that might damage it will destroy your camera and you are going to avoid that no matter what kind of memory you have.

I only take the drive out of the camera a couple of times/year to reseat the connections. Even though it takes about an hour to download a nearly full G microdrive, I use the camera's USB connection instead of a card reader to avoid handling. When I have that much stuff on the drive, I also have a bunch of other stuff to do when I get home.

If you look at the reports of memory problems (solid state or microdrive), you will notice at pretty much all of them include the phrase, "... out of the camera ...". I am convinced that the vast majority of memory (any kind) problems are due to handling. Still rare so it really isn't that big an issue if you are carefull.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2003, 1:03 PM   #8

I'm inclined to think Bill's way too. Fortunately I found a bent pin once on my reader socket, Before I plugged in my MD. How many people I wonder peer inside their readers or take them apart from time to time. CF Cards were still working, but when I checked out the pin it was a high order address, so probably I'd have had probs accessing the pics higher up the MD drive.

Now I'm ultra careful with these 50 pin devices. It's a pity my cam isn't USB2 or Firewire, then like Bill, it wouldn't take too long to download a full drive. Cup of tea job!