Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Dec 27, 2006, 11:23 AM   #1

I didn't think card reader really mattered as long as it is a USB2.0 and compatible with my card.

I use a i.connect brand generic SD only card reader, based on the VIA Vectro VT6205 universal USB2.0<->memory card bridge. http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/pe...ls/usb/vt6205/

That's what I've been using for a long time, but recently I got a great deal on a second hand 1GB SD + SanDisk MobileMate card reader combo.

I tested the write speed to SanDisk UltraII SD card with both readers on the same computer.

i.connect: 5.42MB/s

SanDisk: 7.56MB/s, 40% faster.

If thetransfer speed to/from your cardwhile connected to the PC matters to you, then you should definitely consider ahigher end card reader.
itsme000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 27, 2006, 3:27 PM   #2

I have a SanDisk USB 2.0 SD card reader. It is very fast compared to others I have used. Glad I paid a bit more for a fast reader.
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:08 PM   #3

I've been using the USB 2.0 connection from my Digital Rebel XT for a long time and found a card reader much faster. But..... i recently purchased a 24" Dell 2407WFP flat panel LCD monitor which has built in readers for Compact Flash, SD, and a few others and WOW does this thing fly! It kicks the butt out of my Lexar Firewire card reader which i thought was a pretty nice one.

Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2007, 8:14 PM   #4

I noticed that the 20" FP Dell monitors had numerous USB ports, and now the 24" displayshave card readers? Who knows what will be next . . .
coppertrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:36 AM   #5

Yup. I use my 2x 4gb SD cards in my monitor to put music onto them so i can use them in my Audi. It's got two slots behind the navigations screen.
Old Jan 19, 2007, 4:51 AM   #6

good fast cards also make a world of difference. i had a 2gb base model SanDisk and it was a slug.

Then i picked up 2x Patriot Extreme Performance 2gb cards from Newegg for $33.99 each which are rated at 133x and the transfer rate through my notebooks reader and the one built into my 24" monitor were like night and day faster.

Menus, song titles, and playback while inserted in the slots behind the NAV screen in my new A4 is also much much faster.

*couldn't resist a photo or two*

Mods: Lowered, full neuspeed exhaust, oettinger chip (91, 93, and 100 race fuel maps switchable by cruise control while engine off). Just swapped out the fogs with brighter ion-yellow and the city lights to match the HID's. Soon is an intake, big turbo, and 19" forged wheels! Then body kit!