Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 27, 2003, 8:35 AM   #1

Default Disk (microdrive) unreadable...initialize?

I had this problem a month or so ago, all my CF's and my 1G micro were unreadable in my Lexar Firewire reader. I reinstaled the Lexar software and initialized the CF cards, after palying around a bit I got the MD to come up, still don't know how. I dragged everything off and initialized it, it seemed fine at first, but I popped it in the reader last night and got the "Unreadable" message again. I tried hooking the camers directly to my Mac with the USB hookup, it still gives me the same message?? It seems fine in the camera, I don't mind formatting the card, but need to get whats on it off, and we have a client shoot on Weds.
Help!!!!!!!!!!
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 27, 2003, 9:45 AM   #2

Unfortunately I can't offer much in the way of help, but I can ask... what OS are you using?

It sounds much more like the problem is in the computer and not the camera or the cards themselves, as the camera can use the card(s) just fine. Do you have a laptop you could try reading the cards with (using a CF adapter)?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2003, 12:17 PM   #3

Default Micro drive

I'm on a G3 with 9.2, I would agree with the problem being computer based, but it reads my other cards
Old Jun 27, 2003, 1:42 PM   #4

If your camera is reading/writing the CF/MD OK, the last thing I'd mess with is formatting, before isolating a problem in the USB/PC area.

Sorry I'm not on MAC so not much help. I read there were some upgraded MD drivers (mainly for the 340's, and older MD's) a lot of readers wouldn't read the later MD's without a driver upgrade.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2003, 11:14 PM   #5

Default RE Disk (microdrive) unreadable...initialize?

I left for the weekend with the 7i and grabbed three CF cards, a Lexar 48, SanDisk 64 and the useless 16 that came with the camera, leaving the MD home. When I got where I was going I tried to use the camera, all three cards gave me a "Unable to use card" message. I couldn't format them, couldn't shoot. I got in tonight and tried the cards in the reader and all three that wouldn't work in the camera came up fine on my Mac. Thinking the camera may be damaged, I tried the MD back in the camera that couldn't read the cards and it works fine?? But I still can't transfer the files off it. either through the USB cable or by putting the card in the reader...
Thinking back to when I was having trouble a few weeks ago, I remember initializing the three cards on the computer, but not the MD. At an earlier time I had formated the MD in the camera, unrelated to this situation, but it's worked in the reader since.
I still have to shoot on Weds. for a client. any ideas would be greatly appreciated
Old Jun 30, 2003, 4:50 AM   #6

First off you need to find out what format properties all your media are currently at. I don't know how you do this on MACs, but on a pc I can run WinHex32 and look at the media format properties and first sector.

If you see any hint of FAT32 then you know your pc has reformatted it. Also, bad things can happen if you're moving files (i.e your pc is deleting off the card) but copying files and deleting in the camera is ok. I can also look at the first sector. If I see a manufacturer code in text like 'FujiFilm' near the top of the table, I'm ecstatic, If I see 'MSDOS' at the end of the table and I'm getting a card error I know I've got to fix something.

Usually on a pc, this means running MSDOS format from Win2K or XP which allows you to select the options FAT (that's a default FAT16) or FAT32 (never) and other cluster sizes if you wish. However this puts back the default MSDOS labelled format which my camera seems to object to. So using Winhex I fill the card sectors with '00's to make sure it's absolutely clean of junk and then reformat back in the camera. And Bingo, so far the Fuji table comes back and everything has worked.

If an MSDOS reformat program will not run at all, even though the card drive is recognised, and other cards can be read, (assuming your USB link and drive is set up o.k) the problem is a more serious low level format one.

So, can you find out what the media format properties are, for the cards your camera/card reader can't read? If you're going to mess with formatting, choose the cheapest Smartmedia card to begin with. Can you run some tests on a pc as well, to see if part of your problem is Mac related?
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote