Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:50 AM   #1

I'm going to be buying either the Nikon D80 or Pentax K10d, I understand both take SD cards, I have some older 128 and 256mb cards but I will be buying either a 1GB or 2GB card for my new cam.

The question is, which is better out of these three, are any more reliable than the other's, which is the fastest?, does it really matter if I get a fast card or does the internal buffer make fast cards really unnecessary?

Sandisk extreme 3

Lexar 133X

or Kingston Ultimate 133X?

Thanks

Rob

mansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 9, 2007, 9:37 PM   #2

Just got a D80 2 days ago. A faster card will certainly help, as the writes from the buffer to the card will be faster. Mine's a generic brand, 4Gb. in size. Personally, of the 3 choices, I don't believe you can go wrong.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:25 AM   #3

HughesInNC,what about the sloer Sandisk Ultra 2 cards, would one of these be too slow?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 3:25 AM   #4

HughesInNC,what about the slower Sandisk Ultra 2 cards, would one of these be too slow?

Old Jan 10, 2007, 7:42 AM   #5

I guess it all depends on how you're going to use your camera. If you're going to be in "Sports" mode on the D80, the buffer's going to fill up 3 FPS pretty quickly (2 seconds when shooting RAW, I believe), so transfer speed to the memory card should be as quick as possible. On the other hand, if you're going to do pics of the family, vacation, etc. etc., and don't see a need to use the 3 FPS feature, then a slower card would work extremely fine.

I have a NikonCoolpix 8800, and just received my Nikon D80 on Monday. After just a few test pics in my home studio (Hobby, not profession), I can tell the D80 is MUCH faster at everything than the Coolpix 8800.

So, depending on your intended use, pick the best card for your situation.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2007, 6:21 AM   #6

Well I've bought a 1GB sandisk extreme three card for £24 inc p&p so I'm very happy with that.