Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 9, 2007, 10:30 PM   #1

Just got Fuji S9100.

I was going to get a CF card. I see them on sale for $20-30 for 1g, but they don't say how 'fast' they are. Does it really matter to a non-professional?

Is there a difference between Type 1 and Type 2? Is a CF card the same thing as a microdrive?

Manual directs you to Fuji site for info on what kind of CF cards are compatible, but table only likes xD and microdrives. ??

If you can't tell, I am new to digital!

Thank you!

poppop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:04 AM   #2
Administrator

CF is much more reliable than a Microdrive and flash memory is so cheap nowadays. The S9100 can handle any CF up to 2GB with no problems. A good 80x or faster card will serve you well.

See our page about memory cards:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/flash_memory.html#cf

steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:19 PM   #3

Thank you - the page on memory cards was very helpful!
Old Jan 12, 2007, 11:49 PM   #4

Right now B&H is selling the Ultra II one gig card for $21.95 and the Extreme III one gig card for $39.95. I use both and bothare very fast cards. For the money the Ultra II is a great value! The extreme III is a bit faster but unless shooting in extreme temps or needing multiple bursts I don't know if you would need it. If $ isn't an issue get the Extreme III's.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...amp;Submit.y=6

Happy shooting!

Trique Daddi
Trique Daddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 5:11 AM   #5

Go with the CF card. I use a 2gb microdrive and i know one day the thing will die out on me or i'll drop it or do something else stupid. The read/write speeds on micodrives are usually just shy of 20mb/s which is fine for a Rebel XT but not for higher end cameras.

For your application, you don't need an extreme III if you think your camera will utilize the higher speeds and write faster. The only benefit would be downloading images with a high quality CF reader. Personally... not worth the cash.
Andrew LB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 9:11 AM   #6

Thank you for the information and suggestions. I shopped around here and found that the B&H price, right now, the best, even with $3.95 postage - so that's what I went with. Call me old fashioned, but I don't want to put all my eggs in one basket, so a couple of 1G compact flash, rather than a larger one, is what I'm going to do.