Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 11, 2007, 8:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1
Default

Hey, new here. Just got a Nikon D50 DSLR. Love it, I took alot of pictures of my car today. Then later, formatted the card not knowing it would erase all the images I had. Sorry, maybe a stupid move, but is there any possible way to recover teh images?I really want those back, they came out amazing. Thanks.
Insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 4:39 PM   #2
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

I missed this thread. But, yes, you should be able to get them back if all you've done is format the card. Just don't write to with any utilities or take any more photos until you get your images from it.

There are a number of popular utilities designed to recover images. It's best to use a card reader. But, many will also work fine with a USB Attached camera, as long as it shows up with a drive letter under "My Computer" when attached.

One utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (it's free). Note that it probably won't work with nef files. But, it does a pretty good job recovering jpeg images from most media.

You can download it using this link, unzip it and run it.

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Make note of the drive letter you see when the card is inserted in a reader (you'll find it under "My Computer"). Then, load this program and select your desired language (English is one of them).

Give it the drive letter for the card reader, select a folder on your PC to save the recovered images to, leave everything else at default settings, and press Start. Your photos will be saved to the folder you select.

Here's another popular Utility you can try:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

Another choice is a free open source program called photorec. It's a command line utility (no graphical user interface). It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct them. It works with over 80 different file types now (including most popular image formats). You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

If for some reason these won't find them, here's a commercial program designed to do the same thing (not free). You can download a demo version to see if it works before buying it.

http://www.datarescue.com/photorescue/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 11:03 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Default

Hi, I have a similar problem, except I think I removed my SD card from the reader while pics where being read from it. Anyway I used PC Inspector, which found the files, but each jpg shows only about 25%. The remaining 75% of each jpg pic is blank.
When the file thumbnails are viewed, the whole picture shows?

How can I recover the full jpg files, not 25% of the file?

Thanks in advance...
bktakespics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 1:55 PM   #4
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Savannah, GA (USA)
Posts: 22,378
Default

If you're getting partial files, that usually means that they're corrupted (have been overwritten). So, not all of them may have been the current images on the card (some may have been from several shoots ago).

But, it could also mean that the recovery program was not smart enough to try and reconstruct the images when the FAT was corrupted. So, I'd try more than one product to see if one can do better than another for images that have not been overwritten.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4
Default

I tried Digital Image Recovery and that software recovered all my lost jpg images!

Unfortunately, I also had AVI files on the SD card, which were also recovered, but for some reason, the AVI's are only playable ina DivX player andonly the first 18-19 seconds of recording,then it stops playing. The file sizes seem accurate?

Anyone have any ideas what may have gone wrong with the recovery of the AVI files from my SD card? Thanks...


bktakespics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:52 PM.