Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 1, 2003, 2:56 PM   #1

Default MicroDrive in D7i and PDA

it appears i have made a bad choice..... i have been using my ibm microdrive for about 6 months now, since i got my D7i and have had no problems......

then i got a Dell Axim PDA, tried out the MicroDrive in the Axim to see if it would work like advertised and it did.

but, when i put my microdrive back into the D7i, NO LONGER RECOGNIZED....

I had a 256mb CF card i had used to transfer some files from desktop to PDA, and experienced the same problem.

Anyone else had this happen ???

and any suggestions? have alread re-formated the CF card to no avail.....

jimb
jboller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:34 PM   #2

Quote:
it appears i have made a bad choice.......
Read some of my earlier posts.

The 'bad choice' was probably trying to run your MD in the PDA which might have written to it in a different format. You could have had a similar experience with CF.

Digicam Media uses the older 16Bit FAT. Digicams also format by putting on their own directory structure. Often they object to seeing the wrong format and sometimes other directories/files where they expect their own. Just deleting from PC doesn't always fix this either because the data is still in the card file structure. That's where cardwipe utilities can help by cleaning out the card BUT I've not messed with my MD yet and tried this.

This is a copy (some unrecogniseable text) of the first logical sector (0) of my working 1Gb MD, captured using WinHex: Apologies to everybody else!

<?*w~98IHC @   ? ? @ ? ?
? )z?MICRODRIVE FAT16 3?м |x 67VS>| E?|?M?G>|ry39|t?|? |*|&||||? P|?R|I|?K| &|? |HI|?K| ?R|P|? r r? }u
? t?}_ 3^??DXXX?GHH?
|2I|K|  PRQ: rذT YZXr ?  |?.|?$|?I|K| p
t) ;|s6|?O|36|?%|M|ô?M|
6O|???$|?6%|
Non-System disk or disk error
Replace and press any key when ready
IBMBIO COMIBMDOS COM U

You will notice two things, 1. the format is FAT16 not FAT32, and 2. There are references to IBMDOS (not MS) as well.

Search the web for WinHex and download the trial, I think it still allows you to read a remote drive, but not edit it. Also view the 'show details' panel. Your drive should be FAT16 format type. If it's not your PDA might not have recognised it when you first tried it and thought it would be helpful to reformat it - bit like putting in a blank floppy. If it did and you said yes, unless you selected FAT option it is probably now FAT32 default format for your PDA. I assume you can't format in the cam in any way?

I heard some PDA manufacturers got wise to their products corrupting and changing media format type. Check out the format options in the PDA, there may also be some utilities. I even heard one included a low level format repair utility. (Talk to Dell about this) that is very rare.

I'ts best not to start any formatting or writing outside the camera, until you confirm what your MD and card File structure is at the moment. Work on getting the cheapest media fixed, perhaps even sacrifice a small CF card.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 4:56 PM   #3

Default No More Microdrive and CF Problem

All i can say is 'THANKS'........

a reformat to FAT vs FAT32 did the problem in..... now the 7i sees the cards and can use them.......

again...... many thanks.... to bad i spent the week in Sedona with no memory and a laptop that went south at the same time...... so i could not download my pic's .... but that is life.... will go back in a few weeks.....

jimb
jboller4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2003, 5:08 PM   #4

You were lucky it was only the high level FAT format that was wrong!

Presumably you've now reversed your tracks and realised what you did wrong?

Only format in the camera, never MOVE a file always copy, preferably erase files in the camera, and share the media with PDA's MP3's etc at your own risk!

Now there's also a (guy) trying to read his/her cards on a Firewire reader and MAC with a deadline for tomorrow. I think you won the prize!
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote