Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 22, 2007, 1:04 AM   #1

Whicj is best to use. Some people tell me that my pins in my camera will wear out after while. So what is best to use.
Imacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 10:09 AM   #2
Administrator

A new USB 2.0 card reader will almost always transfer files faster than using the camera's builtin interface. If you use care when removing and inserting cards you should not wear out any pins. It's more likely that you'll wear the camera out first
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:31 PM   #3

Which ever method works for you is the best.

I prefer to leave SD cards in the camera and download from camera since I find their small size hard to handle and easy to lose in my old age.
dr_spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:23 PM   #4

USB 2 card reader.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 1:23 AM   #5

Card readers not only transfer files faster, but they also save your camera batteries too. If your camera uses adedicated rechargable battery, they are only good for so many recharges, I prefer to use mine uptaking pictures rather than downloading files, and you don't want you batteries to die on you while you are downloading.Plus I have 4 cameras that alluse different cables to connect to the computer,way too much confusion for me, out of the4 cameras they use 3 differenttypes of cards all of which plug into my card reader.
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2007, 3:54 AM   #6

I always use a high speed card reader on a USB 2 busas not only is it faster but the socket on my camera is so small, the first time I used it, just to try it out, I thought that I'd broken it.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:14 AM   #7

A memory card reader can transfer from multiple cards, which most digicams can't. But speed-wise, it won't have much of an advantage, unless you get a high-speed FireWire one. This guide http://<a href="http://www.pickyguid...guide.html</a> may give you some ideas.
pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 6:06 AM   #8

pollyanna wrote:
Quote:
A memory card reader can transfer from multiple cards, which most digicams can't. But speed-wise, it won't have much of an advantage, unless you get a high-speed FireWire one.
It really depends on your reader--and your camera's download speed. My reader (non-Firewire) is nearly 10x faster than downloading from my camera. I timed it. I'll certainly never go back to downloading from camera.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:42 PM   #9

It isn't black and white. Most high speed USB2 card readers are faster than most cameras.

I compared the card reader in my 3 month old computer to my two year old camera and the camera was considerably faster. I've read posts by people comparing card readers and finding a large variation. I didn't pay much attention to the specs for the card reader in my new computer since the only thing I use it for is to occasionally download pictures from my megapixel phone camera using the SD adapter. But I think it was advertised as having a high speed USB2 card reader. It might have just been USB2, which can be a scam.

I downloaded 344Mb from both. The camera downloaded in 2:47 and the card reader took 7:25. I would guess a quality high speed USB2 card reader like a Sandisk would outrun my camera, but there is no way I would bother to remove the card to get a speed advantage with the camera having decent speed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2007, 3:36 PM   #10

In doing speed tests one needs to make sure the card reader (and a camera for that matter) are plugged directly to the computer's USB ports rather than through an external hub. External USB hubs slow everything down.

I always use a card reader to transfer photos to my computers. Mostly this is to conserve the camera batteries but secondarily I don't have to load any softwarefrom the camera maker which may be flaky and have security vulnerabilities that I then have to worry about patching.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote