Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jan 22, 2007, 4:46 PM   #1

I took some photos, came home and tried to download using a card reader. There were incomplete photos and general corruption. I then removed the card from the reader before it finished (Bad move!).

I now do not get the card recognised as available in either the reader or the camera. From the camera I get a 'card error' and I thought 'OK' lost the photos, reformat and try again. If I try through the camera I get a message of ' Card not initialised'.

I have tried the recovery software from the 'net and from your messages from other posts but as the card is not recognised I have had no joy.

Any offers of assistance are greatly appreciated.
AliMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 22, 2007, 5:27 PM   #2

Do other cards work properly in the camera and reader? This will rule out a bad contact.

If you can't initialize the card in the card reader either it's time to get a new card because something got hooped inside. Some companies such as Sandisk have a life time warranty that may bear looking into.
Bob Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:01 AM   #3

Other cards do work in both the camera and the card reader, it looks like time for a new one!

Thanks for your advice.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 10:20 AM   #4
Administrator

The partition table on the card may be corrupted causing the issues.

If the card is under warranty, just send it back and get a replacement.

If it were mine, I'd probably try to fix it first though.

You'll see some comments from me in this thread explaining how to use Ranish Partition manager to delete any existing partitions on the card. After that's done, Microsoft Disk Admin may see it as an unpartitioned card and let you create a new one. If the card is 2GB or smaller, use FAT versus FAT32 when formatting it. I've used this technique more than once (deleted and recreated paritititons) when a card was not recognized and formattable.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2007, 4:14 PM   #5

From the fact that I can't even see the card in either the card reader or the camera would indicate to me that it is time to cut my loses and bin it!!

Thanks for the help, I will certainly be back!

Old Jan 28, 2007, 5:45 PM   #6
Administrator

AliMack wrote:
Quote:
From the fact that I can't even see the card in either the card reader or the camera would indicate to me that it is time to cut my loses and bin it!!
Not necessarily. You can sometimes see a card booting into a different operating system (and the thread I pointed you to has links to an "Ultimate Boot" CD that is using Linux as the OS to get to the Ranish Partition Manager I mentioned).

Windows can be a bit "finnicky" with some media that you may be able to see OK with another operating system. It would take a bit of time to try. But, I'd take the time versus throwing one away if it was not under warranty since it could be a corrupted partition table versus a totally dead card.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 2:34 PM   #7

I also suddenly get this Card not initialised message. The card has been working fine all weekend and now suddenly it doesn't. All the images of my daughter's 4th birthday are still there on the card, not being available to me. I've tried to access the card using PhotoRescue, but without luck. Can anybody please help? I would really like to get to the images before formatting.

Thanks.
Bjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2008, 6:08 PM   #8

Try Disk Management.

Put the card in the reader (or in the camera while it is connected to the computer).

Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage.

Click on th eplus sign next to Storage (if there is one) and click on Disk Management.

Your card should show up, maybe not in the list on top, but definately as a bar on the bottom. From the bar, you might be able to Open or Explore it, but you should definately be able to Format it. Once you do that, you should then format it in your camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 2:34 PM   #9

Thanks for tip. Unfortunately it didn't help me. The card didn't appear so it seems my chances of reaching the images are quite small. Are there no other options, at all? Thanks to anyone able to help!
Bjorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 5:05 PM   #10

Hi,

Quote:
I took some photos, came home and tried to download using a card reader. There were incomplete photos and general corruption.
What type of card is it (just for me to know whether to include anything that is specific to xD cards)?

What type of corruption did you see - can you describe it? Did it affect all images or were some OK?

Did anything unusual happen during either the shooting, or that first download attempt, that you can link to the later problems? Loss of battery power? Camera misbehave / lock-up / etc.?

When you were downloading to your PC, exactly how were you doing that? A copy & paste from card to hard disk in Windows explorer? Or a cut & paste in Windows explorer? Or using some kind of download application? Or ... ?

If this is an SD card, did you set the write-protect tab into the 'lock' position before doing the download on the PC?

Quote:
I then removed the card from the reader before it finished (Bad move!).
True, that's not a good move :sad:

Quote:
I now do not get the card recognised as available in either the reader or the camera.
I think the card is recognised as being present, just not as being readable, because then you said:

Quote:
From the camera I get a 'card error' and I thought 'OK' lost the photos, reformat and try again.
So the camera did not report the card as 'missing', but as 'card error'.

Do I understand correctly that you did then choose to reformat the card in the camera, or was that just something you were considering but didn't do?

And then:

Quote:
If I try through the camera I get a message of ' Card not initialised'.
Is that message only after you attempted to reformat the card in the camera? Or did I misunderstand what you did, before the error message changed from 'card error' to 'card not initialised'?

If I'm understanding correctly, your attempt to reformat the card won't have done anything to help retrieving the images :sad: but depending on the card type and camera, then if the card is readable in any way, there is a chance of some images still being retrievable. That's especially true if the format process stopped with an error straight away - did it? Or did it run to completion?

Again, if I understand correctly, the card was readable (but with some corruption of the images - more details of what corruption you saw at that stage would be useful). Then after you prematurely removed the card from the reader, the symptoms changed to you getting 'card error' always reported by the camera. That still shouldn't have erased all the data from the card, although especially if you were doing a cut & paste in Windows, then pulling out the card can interrupt writes to the FAT, which could account for what happened afterwards..

You may have a photo recovery company like us in your area - many operate a 'no recovery, no fee' so if you're having no success with using recovery software yourself, then getting expert help seems your other option. Someone on the forum may be able to recommend one that is local to you, if you give your location.

As you can see from my questions above, I haven't got the details of your full story, but I think there is still a chance of some recovery still being possible - unless this is an xD card, and you did an in-camera format, and the camera actually completed the format. Then recovery is likely to be impossible.

Good luck,

--
Sam
[Disclosure - I work for a photo recovery company, but still trying to give impartial advice]
Expert Photo Recovery is offline   Reply With Quote