Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 18, 2007, 2:20 PM   #11

$40 for a 512 MB xD card is very high. I just bought a 1 GB SanDisk Type 'M' xD (Olympus branded, manufactured by Toshiba) card at Staples for $14.98. Their President's Day sale is on until 2/24 - or until stock runs out. Get them while they last - they don't go stale.

Be very careful when dealing with Amazon.com. Personally, I have been very pleased in my dealings with Amazon, however, I would not care to deal with some of their merchants...it's not the same as dealing directly with Amazon.com. If one of their merchants screws up your order, you have to go after the merchant to get resolution - not Amazon.com. Amazon is currently selling SanDisk Typ 'H', 1 GB xD cards for $29.99, free shipping and no tax. This is a very fair price. I don't recommend trying to save a couple of dollars by using one of their merchants and having a bad experience. By the way, if you buy from digital media through Amazon, you wind up paying $7.50 shipping - not worth it!

Occasionally, Olympus sells refurbished xD cards out of their factory. I don't know what requires or how the cards get refurbished, maybe somebody messes them up and sends them back and Oly reformats them. The price they charge doesn't seem to make it worthwhile, however...you can do just as well buying new cards, on sale from reputable dealers.

Good luck with your new F20!

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:10 AM   #12

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Be very careful when dealing with Amazon.com. Personally, I have been very pleased in my dealings with Amazon, however, I would not care to deal with some of their merchants...it's not the same as dealing directly with Amazon.com. If one of their merchants screws up your order, you have to go after the merchant to get resolution - not Amazon.com. Amazon is currently selling SanDisk Typ 'H', 1 GB xD cards for $29.99, free shipping and no tax. This is a very fair price. I don't recommend trying to save a couple of dollars by using one of their merchants and having a bad experience. By the way, if you buy from digital media through Amazon, you wind up paying $7.50 shipping - not worth it!
Quote:
Thanks for the advice about Amazon's merchants. I already knew the difference between the two and, personally, I've only had one sale out of a hundred or sogo a bit wrong and even then I still received my goods, just late.

So the "issue" of compatability between card & camera mfr. is really a non-issue, right? Meaning that I don't have to worry about having a Fuji-branded card to go with my Fuji camera?

Thanks for the tip about Staples having SanDisk 1GB xD Type "M" cards on sale. I will check out my local store to see if they have any. After re-reading your post though, I'm confused: you say that you bought a SanDisk Type 'M' xD 1GB card at Staples but that it was Olympus branded. When I go to my localStaples to find this deal which brand card should I look for: SanDisk or Olympus?

alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2007, 4:24 AM   #13

One more question about Amazon: I searched for "SanDisk 1 GB xD" and got this result from Amazon, not one of their merchants. The photo shows 2 Type "M" 1 GB cards, one by Fujifilm, the other by Olympus. I wonder which brand card I would get if I ordered one.

FYI, Amazon also has a Type "H" xD 1 GB card for $29.99 link. The photo shows the same 2 Olympus and Fujifilm cards (they arelabeled "H"). "H" is supposed to be faster than "M", right? Is that the primary difference between the cards?
alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 4:57 PM   #14

Alton,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I was away on business. As a matter of fact, I was out in your neck of the woods...Washington and Oregon.

The cards I bought at Staples were Sandisk cards, Type 'M', 1 GB, had an Olympus brand on them, and were manufactured by Toshiba.

Amazon.com is selling Sandisk cards, Type 'H', 1 GB, with either Fuji or Olympus brands on them. They are manufactured by Samsung. I bought a couple from Amazon, and they had the Olympus brand on them.

Don't ask why - I don't know.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2007, 3:30 PM   #15

Local Sam's Club is now $30.00 for the 1Gig type H Olympus card.
Not bad at all.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote