Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:38 AM   #1

I am totally new to Digital Photography, so please bare with me:?. I am shopping for a memory card for my new Fujifilm F650. I have noticed that Fuji and Olympus appear to use the same card. Would a 2 Gig Olympus be compatable with the Fujifilm F650 or must I purchase a card made exclusively for the F650? The Olympus card seems to be a little less expencive. Thank you!
tjcnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 11, 2007, 1:11 PM   #2

If the F650 is compatible with a 2 GB xD card, then it won't matter which brand you use.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 10:05 AM   #3

But !
Depending on where you live Fuji doesn't sell the type H cards.
Here in the USA only Olympus has the type H cards (faster).

Also there are cards made and marketed by 3rd party companies that have the Olympus logo.

madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2007, 11:17 AM   #4

Both Fuji and Olympus branded cards are available with the "H" or "M" designation, up to 1 GB. Currently, the 2 GB cards are only available with the "M" designation, both in the Fuji and Olympus brand. I have both Fuji and Olympus branded xD cards, and all are made by Samsung.

[The following links are provided as photographic evidence to support the above statements only, and in no way represent the author's recommendation to use the affiliated merchant.]

http://www.amazon.com/1GB-Xd-Picture...=UTF8&s=pc

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-xD-Typ...=UTF8&s=pc

the Hun

Old Feb 13, 2007, 6:40 AM   #5

Ok, Thanks a bunch folks! That is exactly what I was needing to know.
tjcnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2007, 3:49 PM   #6

rinniethehun wrote:
Quote:
Both Fuji and Olympus branded cards are available with the "H" or "M" designation, up to 1 GB. Currently, the 2 GB cards are only available with the "M" designation, both in the Fuji and Olympus brand. I have both Fuji and Olympus branded xD cards, and all are made by Samsung.

[The following links are provided as photographic evidence to support the above statements only, and in no way represent the author's recommendation to use the affiliated merchant.]

http://www.amazon.com/1GB-Xd-Picture...=UTF8&s=pc

http://www.amazon.com/Sandisk-xD-Typ...=UTF8&s=pc

the Hun
My Fuji Xd card (1G) was manufactured by Toshiba, It was packaged in FUJI brand packaging and purchased at Wal-Mart.

Interesting how the H cards are almost half the price of the M cards. I was under the impression that H cards were more desireable as they had faster speeds than the M cards.
Old Feb 14, 2007, 4:07 PM   #7

At first, the 'M' cards were cheaper than the 'H' cards, but now they seem to run about the same price. If you can buy 'H' cards for half price, let us know where!

Two days ago, when I posted those links, Amazon was selling the 1 GB 'H' cards for $24.99. Yesterday, they raised the price to $29.99...I guess I should have pulled the trigger on Monday.

the Hun

Old Feb 14, 2007, 5:47 PM   #8

Best price I've seen has been on newegg.com
Locally the 1G Fuji card (M) the local Ritz wanted $55.00

I paid $45.00 at Wal Mart for a 1G M type Olympus, manufactured by Toshiba.

Sam's club has "H" Olympus cards at $35.00
Old Feb 14, 2007, 7:28 PM   #9

I have seen 1GB xD cards through bhphotovideo for as low as $30 (that was around Christmas) $55 for a 1GB xD card is very high compared to what I paid for all 3 of the ones I have. The H cards are about the same price as M series cards and in my 5MP Fuji S5200 are about 1 to 2 seocnds faster shoot to shoot in the highest jpeg mode.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2007, 11:11 PM   #10

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums but I have used & valued the Steve's site for many years now. Today I decided to upgrade my camera fromthe Nikon Coolpix 775 (2.5 mp) to a Fujifilm F20. The store (Kit's in Lynnwood, WA) sold me a Fujifilm xD (Type M) 512 MB card for $40. Since I'm not planning on using the camera too heavily (initially, at least) I thought that 512 MB would be fine but $40 seemed expensive. On my way home I stopped at Costco to see what they had and spoke to a salesman who said that they had stopped selling xD cards because of compatability issues. I was planning to look at Amazon.com when I got home to see what the prices for SanDisk cards were but thought that it would be good to see how this community felt about the compatability issue. If I have read this thread correctly it should be safe to use any brand xD card - is that right?

The best price that I have found for a Fuji 512 MB xD card at Amazon is from Digital Media - the card and shipping for under $25. The comparable SanDisk card sells for roughly the same as the Fuji (although, interestingly, Amazon's pics for the SanDisk cards show an Olympus "H" and a Fuji "M" ). The Fuji 1 GB xD goes for around $29 and up from various Amazon merchants. Also, some merchants say that the cards are "refurbished" and want $9.99 for the 512 MB card + $13.50 S&H; is there a way to refurbish a flash card (I don't think so)? I think that this is just an "ingenious" way for some merchants to offer a card at the "best" price and cover the difference with inflated shipping charges.

As I think about and write this post I am coming to the conclusion that I am somewhat answering my own questions but I would still appreciate confirmation and/or other opinions. Thank you.:-)

alton krenslok is offline   Reply With Quote