Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:51 PM   #1

Default Reformatting CF cards

I have a Nikon and plan on buying a Canon can I use the same CF cards?
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2003, 4:52 PM   #2

Hi,

It should be no problem, just don't forget to format it before shooting.

Greetings,
Frank
Frank Doorhof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2003, 4:48 PM   #3

that is in the camera formatting
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2003, 5:03 PM   #4

I own a Canon S230 and have a partially filled CF card. Out of curiosity, I put the card into my new Nikon 5400 without formatting. The Nikon recognized the card, and I can view my Canon pictures on the Nikon. The Nikon put the Canon pictures in it's own file. I took a few pictures with the Nikon on the Canon formatted card with no problems.

I will try downloading the pictures using both the Canon and Nikon programs and see if there are any problems. My Dell crashed and needs a complete reload, so I'll get back when I can.

Interesting that I can interchange CF cards between the Nikon and Canon without problems. These days everyone has proprietary standards that prevent convenient use of multibrand equipment.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 2:01 AM   #5

Hi,

Yesterday evening when I tried to shoot with my A60 it showed a memory card error and all the images that I had stored in it were lost. I checked the manual which said in such cases you can try re-formatting. I tried that and when I did a format it gave me the following error ->E50. What does this mean and how do I rectify this? Also, the 16MB CF card now shows a memory of only 3.8MB. Please help me out with this problem.

regards,

Arunkumar Sivaraman
arun_junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2003, 2:48 AM   #6

Yesterday evening when I tried to shoot with my A60 it showed a memory card error and all the images that I had stored in it were lost. I checked the manual which said in such cases you can try re-formatting. I tried that and when I did a format it gave me the following error ->E50. What does this mean and how do I rectify this? Also, the 16MB CF card now shows a memory of only 3.8MB. Please help me out with this problem.

regards,

Arunkumar Sivaraman
arun_junta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 1:33 AM   #7

Paco, I downloaded my 192mb Lexar CF card into my Dell the other night without any problems. The card contained pictures from both my Canon S230 and Nikon 5400. The pictures looked fine and the file sizes for the Canon 3mb and Nikon 5mb were okay.

You can you can interchange CF cards between a Canon S230 and Nikon 5400 with impunity, including partially filled cards from the other camera. PRESUMABLY, this will hold true for other Canon and Nikon digitals, but it's a good idea to test your CF card on your Nikon and Canon with unimportant pictures.
rodmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2003, 10:27 AM   #8

Newer cameras are better about interacting with each other on the same CF card. Some of the older cameras would write special info on to the card which would make it unreadable/unusable by other cameras.

I don't know if any of the newer cameras still do this, but I believe manufacturers are getting better about it. It's the risk you take the first time you do it. It might work, it might not. If it doesn't, you will have a really hard time "fixing" the card so it works in the first camera you tried it on (but it would probably still work in the second one, which is the one which altered it.) You would probably need to low-level format the card, and I'm not sure if that is possible without special software and the right CF reader.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote