Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:31 PM   #1

Hello,

I just purchased a Canon A710 IS today and installed a Transcend 2GB 150X SD card. I notice when I play back a movie on XP IE7 Movie Player it will stall once and a while for a millisecond. The hole time the audio and video are in sync. I have the cameras video set for 640x480 @ 60FPS

If I play the movie in the camera it works fine, but it I save the movie to my computers HD I get the jerkyness. It is very minor but I would like it to work perfect. To download the movie I just plug the camera into my USB hub and download it to my videos. I have ordered a high speed card reader from Transced but it has yet to arrive.

Would anyone know if the problem might be caused from possibly picking the wrong SD card for the camera to make movies? I see that Transcend makes a 4GB

Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) Class 6 these are the spec's:

SD High Capacity (SDHC) is the new SD memory card based on the SDA 2.00 specification. This new design utilizes FAT 32 file system allowing SDHC cards to reach capacities of up to 32GB to satisfy the needs of new SDHC devices such as the Casio Exilim Z1000/Z600/S600 cameras, Panasonic DMC-L1 camera, and HP printer A/B. Enjoy your mp3 music, high-resolution pictures and video clips with an SDHC card.

NOTE: SDHC cards are only compatible with new SDHC, (SDA 2.00 capable) devices such as high-end digital cameras. SDHC cards are not backward compatible with legacy (standard) SD format devices. Standard SD cards are, however, forward compatible with new SDHC devices. Look for the SDHC Logo on the device's packaging or manual or with your device.
  • Class 6 Speed (>/= 6MB/sec write speed) [/*]
  • Fully compatible with the SD 2.0 Standard [/*]
  • Original NAND Flash Chip [/*]
  • Supports Error Correcting Code (ECC) to detect and correct errors [/*]
  • Mechanical Write Protection Switch [/*]
  • Operating Temperature: -13°F (-25°C) to 185°F (85°C) [/*]
  • LIFETIME WARRANTY
The Card I'm currently using is the (not SDHC):

(SD) Secure Digital Card Ultra High Speed 150X

[/*][*]Fastest transfer rate: Read 20MB/s - Write 17MB/s [/*][*]SLC Flash Technology: Faster Speeds, Lower Power Use, Longer Life [/*][*]Support Error Correcting Code (ECC) function to detect and correct errors [/*][*]Support In System Programming (ISP) function to load the firmware [/*][*]Support power down commands and sleep modes [/*][*]Mechanical Write Protection Switch [/*][*]Compliant with Secure Digital Music Initiative(SDMI) portable device requirements [/*][*]LIFETIME WARRANTY TIA,

John
[/*]
escorial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 23, 2007, 8:58 PM   #2
Administrator

The SD card is fine, it is a Windows problem - big surprise huh?

Make sure you have upgraded to the current Media Player version.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:00 PM   #3

Yes I have the latest player from Windows. Do you have the same issue? Would you think that Windows will be having a fix in the future?

John
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:18 PM   #4

The card should be fine as far as specs.

The problem is probably in your computer. Are you using Media Player 11? Version 10 is still available if you want to give it a try.

I doubt that will help if there is some limitation in your computer playing movies at that frame rate. I don't have a 60fps movie mode so I can't check how much processor cycle time it uses. My Media Player uses about 40% average and sometimes peaks at 50% of my cycles with 640 X 480 30fps movies on a 3.06 Ghz Pentium. If you have an older processor it might be running into cycle limitations. It doesn't use a lot of RAM.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 9:50 PM   #5

slipe wrote:
Quote:
The card should be fine as far as specs.

The problem is probably in your computer. Are you using Media Player 11? Version 10 is still available if you want to give it a try.

I doubt that will help if there is some limitation in your computer playing movies at that frame rate. I don't have a 60fps movie mode so I can't check how much processor cycle time it uses. My Media Player uses about 40% average and sometimes peaks at 50% of my cycles with 640 X 480 30fps movies on a 3.06 Ghz Pentium. If you have an older processor it might be running into cycle limitations. It doesn't use a lot of RAM.
Yes I'm using MP 11, my PC is a older Dell Dimension 8200, Pent 4, 1.70GHZ , 768 mb ram. I used the task manager to see what was going on while I played a movie on the MP7 here are the reults http://www.angelfire.com/il3/twins/t...ger_useage.JPG

I did play the movie with my Quicktime player version 7.0.4 and it did play much better. So I tend to go with Steves explination, at least I want to as I do not have the $$ to update to a new quicker PC.

John
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:17 AM   #6

escorial wrote:
Quote:
I do not have the $$ to update to a new quicker PC.
I don't think a quicker PC will do it. I think it's a limitation of MediaPlayer. There are other applications that can play videos on a PC that might work better, but they cost money. But most of them are available as free trial downloads, so you can experiment without it costing you anything.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2007, 8:34 AM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
escorial wrote:
Quote:
I do not have the $$ to update to a new quicker PC.
I don't think a quicker PC will do it. I think it's a limitation of MediaPlayer. There are other applications that can play videos on a PC that might work better, but they cost money. But most of them are available as free trial downloads, so you can experiment without it costing you anything.
Wow that is music to my ears! As mentioned it plays great on my Quicktime player so I can just opt to use that.

BTW what were those other players?

Many thanks,

John
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:22 AM   #8

escorial wrote:
Quote:
Go to www.downloads.com and search for "video player".
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:26 AM   #9

TCav wrote:
Quote:
escorial wrote:
Quote:
Go to http://www.downloads.com and search for "video player".
Tcav,

Thanks, btw I jus ran the Canon Avi video through Nero and made it a Mpeg2. That played fine on the Windows 11 Media Player. I'm satisfied with my Quicktime player.

John
Old Feb 24, 2007, 10:42 AM   #10

Nero make a lot of good software.