Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Feb 27, 2007, 4:36 PM   #1

Sam's club has Olympus (not re badged Sandisk or others) at $30.00 for a type H 1Gig
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 27, 2007, 10:52 PM   #2

[align=left]"Memory prices seem to drop"[/align]
[align=left]Not true."State of the Art" memory is always the same price.[/align]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:36 AM   #3

Unless that is some kind of clever cryptic message TCav, I have to disagree.
Perhaps you mean the cost price remains the same, but retailers juggle their profit margin from time to time.
But, only two months ago, I paid £34.00 + delivery & vat, for a 1Gb Sandisk Extreme III CF card.
Two weeks ago, I paid £17.90 plus delivery but with no vat (the price brought it under the threshold) for the same card from the same etailer.
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 8:48 AM   #4
Administrator

If you consider what is currently "state of the art", TCav has a point.

I can remember spending a lot of money for a Lexar "USB Enabled" 128MB 4x card some years back when they were introduced (close to $300 if memory serves).

Sure, they're almost worthless now. But, they're no longer "state of the art" either. lol

The cards that would currently fit into the same market niche today would probably be the newer Lexar 133x 8GB cards (which are generally close to $300).

So, the price is about the same for "state of the art", its just that state-of-the art is now a faster 133x 8GB versus a 4x 128MB. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 10:32 AM   #5

Last week the same card was $35.00

Kingston's 2G CF card (133X) now costs less than the 1G I purchased a few months ago.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Administrator

Yep, I never cease to be amazed at how fast the cost/megabyte is dropping.

At the same time, it's amazing how much memory they are now fitting into a tiny flash memory card.

Heck, I've still got a 5MB Full Height Seagate Disk Drive in closet. Now, that wouldn't hold one image from many cameras.

Ditto or the speed of some of the newer cards (if only the cameras could keep up). lol

For example, look at this newer Lexar 300x Card (they're claming a minimum sustained write speed of 45MB/Second):

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/Le...x-udma_pr.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2007, 1:36 PM   #7

In addition to the fact that "State of the Art" is a moving target, so are people's expectations on how much memory they want or need.

Four years ago, when I bought a Nikon CoolPix 880 (3MP), I thought that one 256MB card was plenty. Now I have a Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D (6MP) and have a collection of 1GB & 2GB cards.

So, it's not that memory has gotten cheaper, its that while the price for a 1GB card might have dropped recently, madecov's expectations for how much memory he or shewants or needs may not have kept pace with everyone else's.

The cost of manufacture, packaging and distribution does not affect the retail price of any product (except maybe foodstuffs.) What determines the retail price of a product is consumer demand. The wholesale cost of a Belkin 10 foot CAT6 ethernet cable is $3, but so long as people are willing to pay $20 for them, that's what Staples and Office Depot will charge. 1GB memory cards have gotten cheaper because fewer people want them. The cost of manufacture, packaging and distribution only affects a retailer's decision to carry a product or not. If they can't make a profit on something, they're not going to carry it anymore.

When Sam's Club dropped the price on the 1GB cards, I bet they stopped carrying the 256MB cards, and maybe even the 512MB cards too.

Coincidence?

I think not.

Old Mar 2, 2007, 6:05 AM   #8

Like I said....A clever cryptic message !
And nicely explained by both JimC and TCav......thank you :-)
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2007, 9:43 AM   #9

Stevekin wrote:
Quote:
Like I said....A clever cryptic message !
The answer wasn't cryptic; the question was. madecovjust didn't know it.
Old Mar 5, 2007, 5:27 PM   #10
Administrator

Geez guys ... YES! Memory cards are way cheaper now. Any argument to that point is meaningless. A 512MB CF card used to cost $400, now we buy 2GB cards for $60 or less. Even in less time a 1GB SD card has gone from $150 to $19. So yes. memory card prices have dropped - drastically. Thanks to $2007-megapixel "entry level" cameras and a few hundred million MP3 players.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote