Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 6, 2007, 3:21 PM   #1

I have a K100D with a standard SD card. How much faster would it be shot to shot if I used a high speed card?
Contriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:37 AM   #2

The speed of a memory card only really counts when you're taking continuous shots, sometimes referred to a "Burst".

When taking continuous shots, the camera mus move the last shot from it's internal buffer to the memory card before it can take another shot. The faster the memory card, the sooner the camera can take the next shot.

You can test this by setting your camera to save RAW plus JPEG files (because these files are bigger, will fill the camera's buffer sooner, and will take longer to transfer to the memory card), and just hold down the shutter release. The camera will take a few shots in quick succession until the buffer is full, and then it will have to transfer files from the buffer to the memory card so, with a slow card, there will be a noticable lag between subsequent shots. With a fast card, however, the lag won't be so long, and in fact, there might not be any lag.

To my knowledge, http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007contains the most comprehensive assembly of empherical performance tests for CF and SD cards. It only uses Canon and Nikon cameras inthe tests, but a card that does well in these cameras should do well in yours as well. Some of the camrreas used in these tests only use CF cards, but some only use SD cards and some use both.

The speed of a memory card also affects how fast the image files can be transfered from the card to your computer, but that isn't usually the limiting factor and not usually a significant motivation behind getting a fast memory card.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 10:30 AM   #3

I have this card: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item..._Card_1GB.aspx

I am looking at buying this on: http://www.sandisk.com/Products/Item...II_SD_2GB.aspx

Bestbuy has it on sale for $39.00 after the rebates.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:47 PM   #4

Sandisk says that theUltra II has a minimum transfer speed of 10 MB/s, but it doesn't say anything about the speed of the card I already have. Anyone have any idea how fast my existing one is?
Old Mar 7, 2007, 5:03 PM   #5

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007lists these results:

In a Canon EOS-1D Mark II, for large JPEG files, the 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card has a transfer rate of 6.727MB/sec,while the standard SanDisk 1GB card has a 2.592MB/sec.

In a Canon EOS-1D Mark IIN, for large JPEG files, the 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card has a transfer rate of 7.191MB/sec,while the standard SanDisk 1GB card has a 2.641MB/sec.

In a Nikon D50, for large JPEG files, the 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card has a transfer rate of 2.891MB/sec,while the standard SanDisk 1GB card has a 2.029MB/sec.

In a Nikon D80, for large JPEG files, the 2GB SanDisk Ultra II SD Card has a transfer rate of 5.602MB/sec,while the standard SanDisk 1GB card has a 2.428MB/sec.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7, 2007, 6:25 PM   #6
Administrator

I would not buy the card expecting a huge increase in performance.

The tests I've seen show the K100D seems to "max out" at somewhere between 2 and 3 MB/Second using a fast card like a Sandisk Extreme III (as far as the camera's write speed to media).

So, while you may get some benefit from a faster card, you'll tend to get diminishing returns (buy a card that's rated twice as fast and perhaps get a 20% improvement), because the camera's write speed to media becomes the bottleneck, versus the speed of the card itself.

But, your file transfer speeds would improve if that's an issue (and you never know, Pentax may have a firmware upgrade later that improves performance if it's not strictly a hardware limitation).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2007, 5:57 AM   #7

Thanks for your input guys! The card I have right now is fast enough for me. I don't really do much in continous shooting. If there was a dramatic difference in speed between these two cards, then I would definately get the faster card just for those raretimes whenI do want fast continous shots.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 11:03 PM   #8

I recently upgraded from my Ridata 1GB SD 150x card to the Corsair 2GB SD 133x. The new 2GB from Corsair was rated at 133x so the rated speed was slower than the Ridata. I compaired the two speed with my camera and I notice that the Corsair was a little bit faster when shotting RAW continuisly. But if I was out in the field shotting, I doubt I would notice the difference in speed between the two card. Both card was pretty fast to begin with and both card was pretty cheap too.

I bought the Corsair 2GB SD 150x card from newegg.com for about $30 shipped.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote