Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:01 PM   #1

Hello, please help me make a choice if you have more information on any of the following cards:

1) Transcend 8GB Model TS8GCF120, 120X, 20MB/sec read, 18MB/sec write
2) A-DATA 8GB Model 120x 8G, 120X, 20MB/sec read, 10MB/sec write
3) RiDATA PRO-2 8GB Model CFR8G-80X-G, 80X, 12M/s

Thank you
Rod
RodSpode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:12 PM   #2
Administrator

What camera model? Do you know if it will work with an 8GB Card?

Make sure the camera you're buying a card for will actually work with larger cards. Many cameras are limited to a 2GB card size because they only support a 16 Bit FAT (File Allocation Table) and larger sizes require FAT32 support.

There can be a big difference between card speeds in some camera models (and some cameras may have compatibility "quirks" with some cards, making them very slow in a particular camera, even though they're fast in others).

With other camera models, it may not make a lot of difference what card you buy (because their interface to media is the bottleneck once you get to a certain card speed).

So, it's often a good idea to check with users of a particular camera model to see how well cards you consider work in it.

Rob Galbraith has some speed tests of some of the popular CompactFlash cards in some Nikon and Canon DSLRs here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...e.asp?cid=6007

There are a few more sites around the net with other camera specific speed tests. For example, here are some user reported speeds for a number of CompactFlash cards in Konica Minolta and Sony DSLR models:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:18 PM   #3

Thanks for your speedy reply.

It is a Canon Rebel XTi
Old Mar 6, 2007, 6:30 PM   #4
Administrator

It should work with an 8GB card then, and it's got a relatively fast interface to media (as cameras go). I'd personally be inclined to go with the Transcend card out of the cards in your list.

It looks like Rob Galbraith got pretty good performance out of the Transcend 4GB 120x card in a Rebel XT (which means that it was using FAT32 since it's a 4GB card).

But, he hasn't tested the larger 8GB version and doesn't have any tests for the newer Xti yet. So, the only way to see how fast it would be in this camera is to try it, unless you can find someone that has both a Rebel XTi and this card. I wouldn't anticipate any problems with one though (no history of compatiblity issues between a Transcend 120x and Canon DSLR models that I'm aware of).

BTW, I've seen pretty good prices on these at newegg.com from time to time. They've got the Transcend 8GB 120x CompactFlash Cards for $83.49 right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208050

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2007, 10:53 PM   #5

Jim,
Thanks for your input.
I just ordered the Transcend 8GB from Newegg.com
Much appreciated
- Rod