Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:42 AM   #11
Administrator

JohnF wrote:
Quote:
Decided to give up on Sandisk and started checking out reviews of other readers and found similar problems reported with other readers. Now what? Very frustrating
Did you see Steve's post above?

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:49 AM   #12

Hi Jim

Thanks for responding. I did see it. Was hoping for reports from users of various readers.

john
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:14 PM   #13

I have the SanDisk 5 in 1 reader and had an interesting thing happen the other day.

I put a card in to download some pictures, and for some reason the card did not make good contact. I removed the card and inserted it again, but I must have put a little bit of down pressure on it. The plastic on my card broke.

They were my wifes pictures and she waited anxiously as I straightened out the broken card and re-inserted it again. It read just fine, much to our surprises, but I have retired it.

Now, I fully admit to operator error, however a reader that allows more of the card to be encased within it would not have this problem. I am sure there are some compatibility issues that govern the design, but a 2 GB card costs more than the reader.

I am inclined to consider a "less universal" reader, but will probably let my wife download the pictures until I can overcome my clumbsiness...

Tom
SilverFoxCPF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 1:25 PM   #14

alton krenslok wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the advice. Turns out that the SanDisk SDDR-99 does not handle SDHC cards, which brings up a new question: What size card constitutes High Capacity? 512 MB (I have 1 SanDisk Standard& 1 Lexar Platinum II in this size) or 1 GB and higher? I'll probably go with the Kingston b/c it looks like SanDisk does not have a reader that supports SDHC - at least, I'm not finding one........
I apologize for dredging up this old thrad, but I came across this post today doing a search on this very subject. Turns out that indeed the SDDR-99 is SDHC compatible with an easy and free firmware update from Sandisk.

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1562

I commend and thank Sandisk for offering this update utility instead of making people turf their old readers and buy a new one.

I love my SDDR-99 and I'm glad I can still use it with my Samsung S85 and 4GB SHDC cards.

bernse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:18 PM   #15

I ended up giving up on the SanDisk after two of them would not read Sd cards. ( I still use it for Smart Media but got this little tool for my Sd cards. It has worked flawlessly and can also be used as a flash drive.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GFR202SD/
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:26 PM   #16
Administrator

JohnF wrote:
Quote:
I ended up giving up on the SanDisk after two of them would not read Sd cards. ( I still use it for Smart Media but got this little tool for my Sd cards. It has worked flawlessly and can also be used as a flash drive.

http://www.iogear.com/product/GFR202SD/
Have you tried this reader with SDHC cards? I see nothing in the feature descriptions, compatibility chart, or specifications that indicates this reader is compatible with SDHC. Unless a reader is designed to be compatible with SDHC, it may work with SD cards, and not work with SDHC cards.

Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:30 PM   #17

I don't use SDHC cards so I don't know if they would work or not. I use the Sandisk 1GB cards
Old Mar 4, 2008, 2:42 PM   #18
Administrator

JohnF wrote:
Quote:
I don't use SDHC cards so I don't know if they would work or not. I use the Sandisk 1GB cards
I'd suggest being careful recommending it then. It probably won't work with the higher capacity cards many users are buying now. The last card I bought was a 16GB Card. ;-)

See the Secure Digital Card page at wikipedia.org

Here are some quotes from it:

Compatibility Issues with 2GB or larger cards

Quote:
Users of many early card readers have found that they also support only cards up to 1 GB.
From the SDHC section of the page:

SD and SDHC Compatibility Issues
  • Quote:
    Devices that do not specifically support SDHC do not recognize SDHC memory cards.
    [/*]
Old Mar 4, 2008, 5:26 PM   #19

JimC, I read all the link information, but it is impossible for me to actually determine what is going on. The majority of that thread was written in 2007.
I recently posted on the need for a "SD/SDHC" desktop type recorder. Now I am back to not knowing what to get, I am a stickler when it comes to buying anything but some of these companies are what I would call "Evasive as Hell". I tried to day to email Scandisk/Lexar/Kingston, none of there links would work to the technical departments.

I sure don't want to buy something today when the SD/SDHC subject seems to be sort of up in the air. SD doesn't seem to be the problem but when you through SDHC into the party things seem to get extremely suspicious, as to vender validity.

Now I want to throw another snag into things, why do the desktop models NOT come with an on/off switch? I don't want it on 24/7 for no reason.

Changeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2008, 8:40 PM   #20

Let me submit this one :

http://usb.brando.com.hk/prod_detail...amp;cat_id=031

TaP
Take a Picture is offline   Reply With Quote