Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 8, 2007, 9:50 PM   #1

I just ordered a new laptop that does not have any card reader built into. What is the best card reader to use for uploading xD cards (512MB and 1GB). My old laptop had a card reader for SD and CF cards and I had an adaptor that I could put the xD cards into the CompactFlash slot.

Would a small stick device such as an Olympus MAUSB-100 be a good bet or would one of the 23-1 or 14-1 USB card readers should at Sams Club be better.

Thanks for any advice you can provide

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 10, 2007, 4:18 PM   #2

I'm not sure if the MAUSB-100 can handle xD cards greater than 512 KB. The MAUSB-200 is good up to 2 GB. I have a Sandisk SDDR-99 (5 in 1), which works well with my 1 GB xD cards. I think the MAUSB-200 would better suit your laptop, if you plan on taking it on the road with you.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2007, 7:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. I did some checking and the -100 stick reader will handel up to 1GB cards according to bhphotovideo and the -200 will handle up to 2GB cards.

Baiscally once the laptop arrives short of contecting the camera via USB cable I have no way to uload my pictures so I will order the -200 device as soon as get done typing this reply. The reason I do not like this option is it eats up battery life. The more battery power I can save the more I can keep shooting.

Thanks for your help

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 2:20 AM   #4

A USB adaptor is just a 'connection' device ... has nothing to do with mem. capacity ... an xD USB adaptor should be able to accept any size memory ... or that's what I always believed it was ...
belgian pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2007, 10:08 AM   #5

I went with a Wal-Mart 21 in 1 reader.
Since my Fuji accepts both xD and CF I can use the reader to handle each.

My son has a Sony and it will accept memory sticks as well.

It seems to work pretty well and I have not had any problems with it or having card problems.

$20.00 and reads most cards. Read my xD type h 1Gig without any issues.
madecov is offline   Reply With Quote