Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:27 PM   #1

Default New Sandisk Ultra CF Cards

well it seems sandisk has finally learned how to make fast CF cards. it only took a few years to get together. now all they have to do is get some real customer service together.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6269-6272

read it carefully because they never changed the label on the cards in the 256 and 512 size to identify that it is the newer mod. nice of them. the 1 GB is brand new so no problem there.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2003, 12:39 PM   #2
Administrator

I agree, SanDisk sent us a sample of the new 1GB Ultra and it is way faster than the older Ultra's and a lot faster than their standard cards. It would be nice if they marked their cards with the same "X factor" as Lexar and others use - then we'd know for sure.

I have also been quite impressed with the new Transcend 512MB and 1GB cards, they run at 30X. And I have also heard (but not used) that Dane Electric and Samsung brands also have some new and fast CF cards.

These fastcards may not speed up your camera but you sure notice the difference when downloading via a USB 2.0 card reader!

-Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:06 PM   #3

Is Ultra the same as Compact Flash 2 or is it still 1? I went to the Sandisk site, but it didn't say. If I understand correctly, there are old versions of Ultra and new versions, how do you tell the difference? The ones I saw said "Ultra" on the card.
gardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:27 PM   #4

type 1

the 256 and 512MB you can't tell as of this point. the 1GB is brand spankin new so it is the new wonderkind. so buy 1 GBs for now or wait a few months.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:44 PM   #5

I don't know, the 1Gb might be out of my price range. I am also trying to figure out if I should have 2 or more 128 or 256 cards or just one big 512 or 1gb card.

Are the Ultras better than Compact Flash Type 2?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:55 PM   #6

the type 2 config was used due to die size in the beginning. the whole idea is to make it a smaller size. the only current memory device using a type 2 form factor is the microdrive. lots of little parts in there and spinning disks. this fall they will have a 2 and 4 GB drive too. even now lexar is distributing their 2 GB in type 1 form factor also their 4GB is also going out in the type 2 form factor. you will see it in a type 1 package probably in 6 months.

now depending on your camera it may or may not make a bit of difference in xfr time. my 1Ds is maxed out at 1.9MB/s so its sort of redundent to go higher. the main reason i use lexar pro and delkin is the way they back their product. there is a voice at the other end of the phone. at sandisk there doesn't seem to be a phone.

on top of that the lexar 40x 512MB is in the the $170 range
Old Jul 25, 2003, 8:53 PM   #7

Thanks for all your help, I will check out the brands you mentioned. Support is definitely a plus.