Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:25 PM   #1

I have a SD 4 GB memory card for my Nikon D50 and for some reason today when it was going for like 150 pictures stopped working and i tried to format it now and keeps saying its formating but it never finish. Any suggetions? Another question... Whats the best memory card with the most space i can get for a Nikon D50. Thanks alot
j3ss1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:47 PM   #2
Administrator

It's my understanding that the D50 may have a problem formatting cards in excess of 2GB in size (even though it can use larger cards from reports I've seen about it).

My guess (only a guess) is that Nikon will probably address this via a firmware upgrade at some point if it's feasible to do so.

So, you may have to format it using a card reader with Windows (making sure you select FAT32 as the file system type from the drop down list after you right click on the card reader and select format for a card that's larger than 2GB).

But, not all card readers are SDHC compliant (most can't format larger SD cards either). See Steve's post in this thread for one model that should work with the newer SD cards:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=52

As for brands of memory cards, Sandisk and Lexar cards tend to be very popular. I've got some of both brands. But, many other brands should also work fine. The newer Ultra II and Extreme III Sandisk cards are very popular choices for cameras. Panasonic is actually my favorite manufacturer for Secure Digital. But, they are not as popular as some of the other brands.

Rob Galbraith has some tests of popular cards in a D50 here if you want to see how some of them compare from a performance perspecitve in it:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7905

Ebay is a bad place to buy a card (lots of fakes and defective cards being sold there).

So, I'd stick to better known vendors for that type of thing. One vendor with pretty good prices is http://www.newegg.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:53 PM   #3

Thanks alot! I didnt know u could format the memory card in u computer with a card reader but i know now thanks to u. I just did it and it worked. Im really appriciated. Im ready to take some more pics tomorrowon my trip to Busch Gardens
j3ss1ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:56 PM   #4
Administrator

As a general rule, you want to format a card in the device it's going to be used in. That way, it's formatted just the way a camera expects it (since it's performing the format)

But, in this case, the D50 appears to have a compatibility issue formatting cards in excess of 2GB in size. So, a card reader is one way to work around the issue (provided the card reader is SDHC compliant and capable of working with larger cards like your 4GB one).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2007, 4:30 PM   #5

I recently had a problem with an SD card, also 4GB. It turns out that the SD standard only supports up to 2GB (despite the fact that manufacturers make SD cards in excess of 2GB). To 'officially' exceed the 2GB capacity you need to use an SDHC card. Of course your camera must also support SDHC.

As for using an SD card larger than 2GB, that will depend on how closely the camera sticks to the 'official' specifications and limits of SD. So it may, or may not, work in your camera.

If you can format the card on your computer and if the camera then recognizes it, then you can, most likely, use it safely. But the camera may not want to format it, even though it will accept it for writing.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11, 2007, 9:09 AM   #6

I have the same problems and i thanks to all who tell about it

[glow=black]http://kudapoyti.com.ua[/glow]
Artem85 is offline   Reply With Quote