Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 3, 2007, 1:44 AM   #1

I just picked up a Canon SD750 last week and want to buy a 4gb SD card. I was on Newegg's site and found they had a coupld Transcend cards for $38. One thing i am kind of confused is one of the cards is a 4gb SD card rated at 150x speed. Now keep in mind i thought if the card is not an SD HC then the maximum it can hold is only 2gb. They also have a 4gb SD HC but without the 150x for transfer speed. I want to know which one i am better off getting and will my camera read the 150x 4gb standard SD card at 4gb or will it automatically downgrade it to 2gb like some card readers do. My camera can read SD HC cards but i wanted to know if it will read the standard card which is not an SD HC card yet it holds 4gb. Kinda confusing but if someone can help me out i'd appreciate it. Also thinking of buying a Kingston 4gb card, if someone can tell me which card would be best to get. Here are the links to the cards i am thinking of getting. I am probably going with the very last link but if you guys recommend one over the other than i'll probably change my decision.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820134416
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820163159
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208090
jrdnsrnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 3, 2007, 9:18 AM   #2

I recently had the same problem with 4GB SD cards. So my answer to you would be to
a: Read your camera manual and see if it makes any reference to being useable with SD cards greater than 2GB.
and
b: if it does not, then play it safe and buy an SDHC card.

Being able to use a 4GB SD card will depend upon how closely your camera follows the SD standard. If it follows it closely, it will have problems with the 4GB SD card. (My camera simply would not recognize the 4GB SD card)

The only downside is that cameras that take only SD cards will not work with the SDHC card.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3, 2007, 5:55 PM   #3

The manual for my camera and on the Canon Website says it reads the normal SD and SD HC cards. I went ahead and bought the 4gb SD HC card. IT should work fine but i wanted to know about the other cards. Butfor the price and user reviews i think i made a good decision.
jrdnsrnss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2007, 8:37 AM   #4

The SDHC card was the safe choice. Cameras that take SDHC will also take SD cards, but that does not guarantee they will work with SD cards greater than 2GB. The SD 'Standard' only supports up to 2GB. Above that and you are on your own.

My camera did not work with a 4GB SD card. When I investigated the whole SD/SDHC format (with helpful links from Transcend), that was when I learned about the whole dichotomy of the SD/SDHC format.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote