Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

I havevery important fotos for me. I took it with my Canon A520. The problem is that I have moved them from SD card usind card reader and not directly from my foto (I think thats the main problem). So now I cant view tham couse they are damage as I think. The bad part is that I have deleted them from SD card. I tried Data Doctor Recovery Memory Card program but it only recovered fotos in the same situation as I have in my computer. p.s. I am totaly sure that these fotos there good, couse I have seen them in my camera before deleting them, but now I see tham in the same damaged way as I see them in my computer

Please help
audrius8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
havevery important fotos for me. I took it with my Canon A520. The problem is that I have moved them from SD card usind card reader and not directly from my foto (I think thats the main problem).
Moved or copied? What did you use to do it with (a program of some kind, copying the files via Windows Explorer, or other)?

It's unlikely that they were corrupted during the copy process, unless you were using some kind of software that's trying to modify the photos in some way when copying them.

As a rule, I'd never try to "cut and paste" photos though (since the "cut" part deletes the file and I try not to write to a memory card from my computer). I'd copy them instead (click on the card reader under "My Computer", navigate to the folder that contains the images, use "Edit>Select All", "Edit>Copy", select a destination folder on my hard drive and use "Edit>Paste".

Then, make sure they're good (and you can't tell by looking at thumbnails, since the thumbnail is embedded in the image), then use the camera's menus for format prior to using the card again.

What are you trying to view them with (what software)? Are you sure that they're bad?

It's unlikely that they were corrupted during the copy process using a simple file manager like Windows Explorer. But, if you used a program do do it, it could have modified them. If you're seeing the same thing with recovered images, then something else would be suspect (although I'm not familiar with the software you're trying to recover them with). For example: already corrupted on the camera (and you can't tell by viewing thumbnails), being corrupted during the copy process (bad driver for USB Reader, virus (or virus protection) corrupting them, destination hard drive corrupted, etc.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 1:34 PM   #3

I have just cut them from my SD card using Windows Explorer and paste (bad as I see). I view fotos with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. I am sure that they are bad couse I can see other fotos from my PC normaly.

Fotos looks like this one:

http://img211.imageshack.us/my.php?i...titled1jt5.jpg

Thanks for any help
audrius8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2007, 2:18 PM   #4
Administrator

That doesn't look good. But, it's hard to say what's wrong since the photo has been edited (downsized using something, and I don't know if the original thumbnail is intact or not). That looks more like an image a bad sensor would produce. But, if they look OK on the camera, that's probably not it (the thumbnail embedded in the images would also be bad).

Have you written anything to the memory card yet? If not, don't take any photos or you'll risk overwriting your originals on the card.

Try this software and let me know what you get. You can download it using this link, unzip it and run it (it's free).

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Make note of the drive letter you see when the card is inserted in a reader (you'll find it under "My Computer"). Then, load this program and select your desired language (English is one of them).

Give it the drive letter for the card reader, select a folder on your PC to save the recovered images to, leave everything else at default settings, and press Start. Your photos will be saved to the folder you select. You may also want to try disabling your virus protection and firewall software before you recover them (just on the off chance they're being corrupted somehow while being transferred by software you've got installed).

I'd also unplug anything else you've got that's USB (printer, etc.), just in case something else is interfering and causing corruption. Chances are, not (but, stranger things have been known to happen).

Then, see if you can view them. If the Microsoft tools don't let you, try another editor and see what you get. A good one to use is the free Irfanview

If another editor can view the images (provided the are not corrupted in a way that prevents it), then you may be able to load and resave them using something else and fix the issue.

But, my best guess is that they were already corrupted on your memory card to begin with, before you copied them originally.

Can you post a full size original (one of the ones you copied originally versus a recovered one) somewhere on a site that's not going to modify it? I'd like to compare the image and the embedded thumbnail. In most cases, the thumbnail survives corruption intact. If the thumbnail and the image match up in an image that hasn't been edited (i.e., looks like the one you posted a link to), it's a camera problem (that image looks very much like it was produced by a bad sensor, not an image that was corrupted by a copy process).

If you don't have a place to post one, you can get a trial account at http://www.pbase.com and get 10MB of storage to use. Then, just post a link to the photo.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote