Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 23, 2003, 8:48 AM   #1

Default Lexar or Sandisk CF for Nikon Coolpix 3100

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3100. I want to get a large capacity CF card and Nikon recommends Sandisk and Lexar. I have been looking at the following:
Lexar 512MB 40x $163
Lexar 1GB 32x $259
Sandisk Ultra (new faster version) 1GB $307
I just learned about the Sandisk new Ultra models. I know the Lexar have Write Acceleration, but I donít believe that the Coolpix cameras can take advantage of it. So Iím leaning toward getting the Sandisk. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Robert G is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:30 AM   #2

I just purchased the CP 2100 along with a 256MB Sandisk ("regular"). These cameras will never fully utilize the speed benefits of WA or the Ultra cards. If you plan on going to a DSLR later, by all means, get a faster card for it'll really benefit from higher write speed.
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 10:40 AM   #3

Default Slowness of write with new Coolpix

marokero:

Thanks for your reply. I have been using the original 16MB Lexar that came with the Coolpix, and also an old Viking 128MB card. With both, the camera seems really slow in writing, so I can't take many shots quickly. I hope that this is a function of the CF cards, not the camera. What is your experience?
Robert G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2003, 11:26 AM   #4

I use the 1GB Lexar that you mentioned in my D100, and in testing it in the CP 2100, it makes no difference whether I'm using the 256MB Sandisk or my Lexar. The camera itself isn't that speedy to write images. I bought the CP 2100 for my girlfriend because it was just the right size for her, and regardless of write speed, it's actually a pretty good digicam and the images come out nice
marokero is offline   Reply With Quote