Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 15, 2007, 2:03 AM   #1

Howdy folks,

I have a Kodak C875 Digital camera, it came with a Secure Digital 1G High Speed card.

The specs on the memory card states that you can take over 400photos on the 8MP level I think, however I am having a problem it seems that only1/2 the photos will download. I was out shooting some local scenery and took about 321 photos.

I tried to download them on my computer and only 148 of the photos will actually download an image, if you put the card back in the camera and use the review mode to view the photos they all appear viewable while wiewing them in the camera.

Can anyone tell me why they won't download and why I can still view them in the review mode of the camera, or have I lost those remaining photos and the card is not capable of holding that many photos.

Any replies will be greatly appreciated.
Fish34974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:09 PM   #2

Have you tried leaving the card in the camera and connecting the camera to your computer? If the card reader is faulty, this should allow you to transfer the remaining images.

It is also possible that the format of the card may have become corrupted, and the computer can't read that portion of the file allocation table that contains the location of the remaining files.

If the camera can see them, but the computer can't, then, while the card is in the camera, delete the images in the camera that you've already transferred to your computer. Then put the card into your card reader and try to transfer the remaining images.

If that still doesn't work, try some in-camera image editting, if your camera supports it. Anything will do. Anything that will make copies of the images that the computer can't see. Once the images that you sucessfully transferred have been deleted, the images you'll have created should be stored on that portion of the card that the computer should be able to work with.

If any of this works, immediately reformat the card in the camera.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2007, 3:44 PM   #3

TCav wrote:
Quote:
...then, while the card is in the camera, delete the images in the camera that you've already transferred to your computer.
Nooooooo. Do NOT do anything that writes to the card. That could possibly make the situation worse.

What you need to do is get software designed to recover lost/damaged images. Use that software to see if it can recover the missing images on your memory card.

Once you have successfully recovered the images, do as TCav suggested, format the memory card in the camera before using again.

Here is free utility: http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm

There are also others. I have not tried this one.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 7:07 AM   #4

I agree with amazingthailand, that you could try an image recovery utility, but since your camera can see the images but the computer can't, it's not likely that it would have much chance for success.

BTW, does the computer indicate an amount of free space that roughly corresponds with the amount of free space reported by the camera?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2007, 3:33 PM   #5
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
I agree with amazingthailand, that you could try an image recovery utility, but since your camera can see the images but the computer can't, it's not likely that it would have much chance for success.
Just because the operating system doesn't see them doesn't mean that the computer doesn't. ;-) More often than not, the problem is a corrupted FAT (File Allocation Table) causing the issue.

Many of the recovery utilities are designed to bypass the file system driver built into Windows and read the sectors directly for image recovery (ignoring the FAT entirely)

Agood, simple to use, utility to try is Digital Image Recovery (and this older version of it is free).

You can download it using this link, unzip it and run it.

http://www.foto-erhardt.de/foto-forum/download.php?id=2

Make note of the drive letter you see when the card is inserted in a reader (you'll find it under "My Computer"). Then, load this program and select your desired language (English is one of them).

Give it the drive letter for the card reader, select a folder on your PC to save the recovered images to, leave everything else at default settings, and press Start. Your photos will be saved to the folder you select.

Here's a powerful command line utility (no graphical user interface). But, it should be able to get them, too. It's designed to work with severely corrupted file systems by looking for header information specific to many image types in order to try and reconstruct them. You'll need to start it from the drive/directory you want to recover the images to. Then, select the partition on your memory card that you want to recover the images from after starting it.

Here is the link to PhotoRec (it's open source and available for multiple platforms, including Linux). You'll see a download menu choice on the left side of the page.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Photorec is my new favorite, since I had a hard drive crash recently that chkdsk could not fix via a recovery CD and no operating system I tried (Windows, Linux) could mount for reading. This utility managed to recover thousands of images from it. But, the user interface can take some getting used to.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2007, 6:04 AM   #6

I think TCav is on the right track about the card reader. I had a similar problem with a 1GB card--my computer only transferred about half the pictures on it (around 300 at the time) and gagged at the rest, but plugging the camera into the PC allowed me to transfer all of the files. My card reader was an older SanDisk SD/MMC/CF/SM reader that (as I found out with a different card) couldn't even reliably handle a 512MB SD card. It would corrupt the FAT and files/folders and sometimes not see them at all; I thought the card was the problem at first.
I bought a new card reader and haven't had a problem since.
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote