Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Apr 30, 2007, 5:19 PM   #1

dear friends and seniors

I hav an option of purchasing either a 2 GB high speed Sandisk SD card ( extreme III - 133x speed ) or the low speed 2 Gb Sandisk for my kodak z612 IS. My question is -- " will there will be any difference to the write speed from the camera to the card if I purchase the Sandisk extreme III card ? " I understand that the high speed card will let me transfer pics to my computer faster ( I am not concerned abt that factor) .
I mean does the z612 hav a fast enough processor that will make any difference to the lag time that is usually there after taking a pic when the camera writes to the card if I use the high speed card ? What is the write speed of this camera ?
More importantly, will using the high speed card have any effect during the continous burst mode ?
I ask these question coz there is a huge difference in the price of the 2 cards here in India and I have my limited allowances.

I guess, that includes everything that confuses me at the moment.

I would like to have your expert opinion to my queries.

With warm regards,
Dr. Abheek Ghosh
abheekg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2007, 2:21 PM   #2

You might try asking this question in the Kodak forum. A Kodak person (Ron Baird) does check that forum and might be able to provide authoritative info.

Steve did his tests on the Z612 using the Sandisk Ulta II and Kodak does offer two performance level SD cards for the Z612 and claim improved video performance for the more expensive card. Unfortunately they don't provide any specs. so relating that to any third party card is not possible. Taking both pieces of information together a Z612 MIGHT be faster with a somewhat faster card than the basic in video and burst mode (after the buffer is full) butan Ultra III may be overkill.

I usethecheaper Kodak 1G card in my Z612 and my single shot performance seems consistent with Steve's results but I don't shoot video and I haven't yet shot using burst.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2007, 5:51 PM   #3

I would say, buy the faster card, unless the price difference is prohibitive. Even if your current camera cannot make full use of the card's speed, your next camera probably will. Consider it a form of future proofing.
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 10:59 AM   #4

In the US a 2GB Sandisk Ultra III lists at $70, Ultra II at $60 and the standard card lists at $50. US market prices are probably lower. India market prices?? Can't guess.

The specified write speed for the Ultra III is 20MB/sec., 9MB/sec. for Ultra II and unspecified for the standard card.

I suspect that the Z612 can utilize the write speed of an Ultra II but I have my doubts on an Ultra III. If the Z612 can't write at 20MB/sec. you're not "proofing" anything for later. You simply are buying up for a "possible" future use. Whether that's a reasonable approach in your market with your budget is your call but for the Z612 it's not likely to gain you anything for your investment.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2007, 12:49 PM   #5

Dear Sirs
Thank you for your replies.
as suggested by Mr. Smith, I posted the same query on the kodak forum.
The price of the extreme III 2 gb card in India is $60 and the standard Sandisk (speed unspecified) retails at $21.

I'm waiting for a reply from someone who knows about the writespeed of the z612 for sure before making my purchase.

warm regards,
AG.
Old May 2, 2007, 11:18 PM   #6

Dear sirs , I asked the same question at the dpreview kodak forum and the kodak guy mike's response was same as yours. He said that these cameras are not designed to utilise the higher write speeds of these cards. He avoided giving me a straight answer to my question but asked me not to invest in the higher priced high speed cards.