Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 8, 2007, 8:22 AM   #1

Hello a new member who has just purchased a D200 and now needs to purchase some compact flash memory. Looking at Sandisk Extreme IV and Extreme III. There is a difference in price so was wondering if the write/read speed of the IV card is worthwhile. I am a beginner so still learning to use the camera so not yet into RAW whatever that means.

Amy advice would be greatly appreciated - don't want to waste my money. Thanks

Hal174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2

Probably the best website with empirical data on the speeds of different CF and SD Cards is on the Rob Galbraith Digital Photography Insights website.

Here's the link to his Nikon D200 Write Speed:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-8197

It includes test results for both the SanDisk Extreme III and IV CF cards.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2007, 5:29 PM   #3

Thank you for your reply, the web site looked very interesting. It looks as if the 8 Meg Extreme III card would be my best value for money here in the UK. My only question now is that the site selling the Sandisk cards states that this 8M card Extreme III is suitable only for Fat 32 cameras. What does that mean and will it work with the Nikon D200. - Thanks
Old May 8, 2007, 7:09 PM   #4

"FAT" refers to the "File Allocation Table" which is how the operating system keeps track of where files are stored on the storage medium. There are 2 versions of FAT: FAT 16 which uses 16 bit addresses, and FAT 32 which uses 32 bit addresses. A storage medium that uses FAT16 has a practical limit of 4 gigabytes of space, while a storage medium that uses FAT32 has a practical limit of 32 gigabytes of space (though FAT32 can be used for larger volumes by adjusting the cluster size.)

The cautionary note that the 8GB Extreme III is only suitable for FAT32 cameras is because a FAT16 camera would only be able touse the first 4GB. While Nikon has tested other 8GB CF cards in the D200, they have only tested the Extreme III up to 4GB. And SanDisk states that the D200 will work with anything up to 16GB.
Old May 9, 2007, 1:25 AM   #5

Hi TCav - thanks for taking the time to reply to my question - appreciate that.
Old May 15, 2007, 10:42 AM   #6

Thanks TCav...However, that site doens't provide any speeds for the Olympus line of cameras. Does anyone know of a site that offers speeds for the EVOLT E500?

I just recently bought the SanDisk Compact Flash Type I 4GB (NOT the Ultra II, III or IV) and it seems to work at decent speeds, but if it's worth getting a different card for much higher speeds, then I'd like to explore that option.

Unfortunately, for some reason, getting the SanDisk Ultra III here in Calgary is not easy as every store I've checked doesn't carry it.
cristovao12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2007, 11:44 AM   #7

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks TCav...However, that site doens't provide any speeds for the Olympus line of cameras. Does anyone know of a site that offers speeds for the EVOLT E500?
You're right. The Rob Galbraith website only tests CF and SD cards in certain Nikon and Canon dSLRs, but when considering the entire body of work, it does provide a good indication of how one card will compare with another in any camera.

And while there are other websites that publish speed statistics for different cards in a greater variety of cameras, those statistics are all contributed by a multitude of users, and there is no way to ensure that all the tests were carried out exactly the same way, andunder the same conditions, and the posted results are free of bias.

So even if Rob Galbraith's sitedoesn't list yourspecific camera, it is probably still the most useful source of information on throughputwhen selecting a flash memory card.

As I've posted earlier, the speed of a flash memory card really only comes into play when you're shooting sequential images. The specs for the Olympus E-500 list a Sequential Shooting Speed of Approx. 2.5 fps, and a Max. Frame Number on Sequential Shootingfor RAW & TIFF of 4 frames, and forJPEG (HQ, SQ), "up to full capacity with high speed Media (with SanDisk Extreme III CF card on default image quality mode {HQ 1/8})." So I think that when using a standard SanDisk CF Card, or even an Ultra II, you probably won't see that kind of performance.

But only you know if you will ever need it.

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, for some reason, getting the SanDisk Ultra III here in Calgary is not easy as every store I've checked doesn't carry it.
Actually, SanDisk has the Ultra II and the Extreme III and Extreme IV. I don't think you'll have much luck finding an Ultra III anywhere. :-)
Old May 17, 2007, 11:04 AM   #8

Sorry, I meant what you said and I did find a 2GB Extreme III card at a local camera shop for a reasonable price ($64.99).

I just tested out my 4GB SanDisk card last night with continuous shutter and managed to get 6 shots in a row in cloudy light, no flash before the camera stopped. So that's all right.
Old May 17, 2007, 11:28 AM   #9

cristovao12 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry, I meant what you said and I did find a 2GB Extreme III card at a local camera shop for a reasonable price ($64.99).

I just tested out my 4GB SanDisk card last night with continuous shutter and managed to get 6 shots in a row in cloudy light, no flash before the camera stopped. So that's all right.
Now you should try the same thing with the 2GB Extreme III. If you do, please postwhat happens.
Old May 17, 2007, 8:01 PM   #10

It won't be for a couple of weeks...I've got enough space for the coming long weekend of camping. I may even just post some pictures after I come back.

But as soon as I get the Extreme III and the xD card that's on the way, I'll run some tests and with every card and post the results for sure!