Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 9, 2007, 4:09 AM   #1

I'm thinking of buying a kinston 2gb compact flash pro elite card at amazon.com and IO was wondering if that will be fast enough?

Derek034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2007, 6:22 AM   #2

Probably the best website with empirical data on the speeds of different CF and SD Cards is on the Rob Galbraith Digital Photography Insights website. In those tests, the Kingston Elite Pro 2GB did not do very well.

A fast flash memory card is really only useful if you shoot RAW or if you shoot burst or continuous shots. A fast flash memory card can keep up with the camera as it creates the large RAW files or the sequential JPEG images (or, especially, the sequential RAW images.) While a fast flash memory card will speed up the process of transferring image files to your computer, that is less important than storing the image files quickly as they are created.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2007, 8:52 PM   #3

Question is, "fast enough for what?" Not all cameras support the cards with highest speeds, so you might just be wasting your money on the more expensive card. Find out what transfer speeds your camera supports and buy the fastest card for that speed.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 8:36 AM   #4

Norm in Fujino wrote:
Quote:
Question is, "fast enough for what?" Not all cameras support the cards with highest speeds, so you might just be wasting your money on the more expensive card. Find out what transfer speeds your camera supports and buy the fastest card for that speed.
Yes I 100% agreed,

But all my two cameras are loaded with the same brand 133x memory card I love SanDisk Extreme 3 ones ONLY!

Peace,

Alex 007:|
Alex 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 10:03 AM   #5

Some camera will not take advantage of the fatest cards on the market. Take the Fuji S9100 for example. An ultra II sandisc card is a faster I will ever need. Any faster even a 133x card would be faster than the camera would need or be able to handle my images in terms of the extra speed.

One thing to do is check your camera's manual and see the max read and write speed and then match the speed of the memory card to that.

As for size of cards many people including the editor of Shutterbug magazine (on the Circuit City Forums the other night) and a local sports photographer that shoots over 2000 images every weekend of youth sports recommend the use of 2GB cards as their normal size that way you do not put all the eggs in one basket using one 8GB card. Everyone I have talked suggests even if you only shoot 1 to 2GB of image in a day on an assignment get a spare card just in case your card developes an error or you duddenly encounter something and good shutter vrazy.

Hope this helps

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2007, 11:21 AM   #6

Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
Some camera will not take advantage of the fatest cards on the market. Take the Fuji S9100 for example. An ultra II sandisc card is a faster I will ever need. Any faster even a 133x card would be faster than the camera would need or be able to handle my images in terms of the extra speed.
Yes, but the difference in cost between, for instance, an x80 and an x133 card isn't that much, and while your current camera might not be able to take advantage of the x133, maybe your next camera will.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 10:30 PM   #7

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Photo 5 wrote:
Quote:
Yes, but the difference in cost between, for instance, an x80 and an x133 card isn't that much, and while your current camera might not be able to take advantage of the x133, maybe your next camera will.
Never thought of it that way... very good point.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 11:46 AM   #8

I have a DMC L1 and found it takes a 4 gig, but only speed rating 2
Buy the faster and it won't ork
Buy the SDHC and you need a new reader.. and you have to format to Fat 32 on a PC. Since I have a Mac, that means more work using windows just to get the card recognized and not easily reformatted as now

I think, the above ideas, using 2 cards.... maybe the Ultra II or III makes more sense and can be used n one of the other 2 cameras as well
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 11:41 PM   #9

another thing to consider is the movie capapbilities of cameras like the S3 IS. You want fast and quality cards to utilize this movie functionality at it's best.
JakeUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2007, 10:37 AM   #10

I agree about the last post ( above) I would bet the newer Lumix with 12 MP and huge screen or 16:9 will take the speed class III or more. I just bought the 4 gig so I can have it later or when the need arises... I have not been shooting RAW a lot so who knows?.

Just one days shooting will take a 1 gig card and I had the unfortunate problem a few years back when in England of having to ration the card space. For essentially the same money ( less really ) I went to 4 for the price of a 2 gig. But the 1 gigs have been on sale for $5 a piece. I saw one ad for 4 for $20 a week ago. Amazing.....
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote