Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 12, 2007, 12:34 PM   #1

Hi guys, Just picked up a mint Canon Powershot Pro1 yesterday for use as an underwater camera. I want to shoot raw, so transfer times can become an issue. Problem I have is I've scoured every inch of the manual and I can't find anything that gives me the cameras write speed.

Where this is leading to is I want to buy a larger card probably 4gb but don't know if there is any point going for the latest all singing all dancing triple turbo, double density, supercharged extra ultra extreme bite yer legs off one, or will a plain old type 3 sandisk do the job?

Thanks for your help guys, regards, Tony
tonykwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 12, 2007, 5:11 PM   #2
Administrator

Tony, as near as I can tell, this model's write speed to media seems to max out at around 1MB/Second using a Sandisk Ultra II (which is a pretty fast card). That's relatively slow compared to some of the newer cameras around.

So, I wouldn't spend a lot of money just to get the latest and greatest card for it unless you are looking for faster upload times using a card reader or have plans to buy a camera with faster write speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2007, 7:06 PM   #3

Many thanks Jim, that's exactly what I needed to know. I've got a sansisk extreme 3 (4gb) on the way. The difference between the extreme 3 and the extreme 4 is about 50%!!!

I thought someone in the forum would know their stuff - Cheers!, regards, Tony.
Old May 12, 2007, 8:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Even an Extreme III is going to be overkill for this camera model. That's a very fast card.

But, if the price was right, it's speed may come in handy later if you need to use it in another device, and you'll get faster upload times if you're using a USB 2.0 or Firewire attached Card Reader for transferring your images.

Old May 13, 2007, 11:29 AM   #5

Hi Jim - the logic was that it'll come in pretty handy for dropping into the Canon 20D that is my main camera...in fact, I may just stick the extreme 3 into the Canon and see if the Pro 1 likes the 4gb IBM microdrive that's in the 20D now. I've alraedy swapped over to check if the FAT 32 on the Pro 1 was happy with it and it seemed to be!
Old May 13, 2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Administrator

Yep -- the Pro1 is FAT32 compliant and should work with most microdrives (although I'd suggest sticking with Hitachi, as some of the other brands tend to be "iffy" due to power requirements in some models).

Steve has a list of camera models at the bottom of this page that shows compliance (you'll see an asterick next the cameras that are). The Pro1 is the first camera in the list:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/microdrive.html

Of course, with current flash memory prices so low, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go with a microdrive from my perspective. You can get 8GB CompactFlash cards for under $100 from some vendors now. lol

An Extreme III is probably a bit of an overkill for an EOS-20D, too (even though it's a much faster camera compared to the Pro1). There is very little difference between an older and slower card (Ultra II, and others), compared to an Extreme III or Extreme IV.

That's because the EOS-20D tends to max out at around 6MB/Second writing to media. As a result, you tend to get diminishing returns as you go with faster cards (buy a card that's twice as fast, see a few percent difference in speed, if you're lucky), because the bottleneck is the camera's processing and interface to media speed versus the card itself. So, from my perspective, the tiny difference you might see in performance increases doesn't usually offset the difference in card prices, unless you're gettting the card at a real good price.

Rob Galbraith has some speed tests for a 20D here:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7303