Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 23, 2007, 12:55 PM   #11

"If you can't download the software from the web site why would you be able to download the same file from email. Especially since the file size as an email attachment is ~25% larger than it is as a binary.

Further, if the firmware update is an executable your ISP should filter it anyway."

I thought it possible the firewall protection my ISP has, may have compromised the download. Then again, my main thought is that the file available for download is corrupted, and I asked Kodak support to check that possibility. To date, after two phone calls and two email messages to them, I have received no response to this request.

Don't you think it strange two unrelated people, myself and the individual who started this thread,who separately downloaded the file, had the same problem with it? Ok, it's possible that we're both idiots, but I think it is just another example of abig company, Kodak,falling down on its promised "support."

tjum225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:07 PM   #12

tjum225 wrote:
Quote:
* Don't you think it strange two unrelated people, myself and the individual who started this thread,*who separately downloaded the file, had the same problem with it?* Ok, it's possible that we're both idiots, but I think it is just another example of a*big company, Kodak,*falling down on its promised "support."*
No, we are definitely not idiots. Kodak only provide good customer service when they have the potential to make money out of you. Like when i mentioned the words "camera repair" in my correspondance to them i got quick replies from them, albeit a generic template-type of response.
I was going to get a quote off them for a repair but they insisted i provided the model number of the camera and my full address and contact details - talk about an invasion of privacy, i'm not giving them any of my details unless i decide to hand it in to them for a service. I don't know if this is some shonky marketing or data collection technique but i don't buy it, you don't ask for a customers contact details when they are merely enquiring about a repair, i just find it rude and unproffesional.
Good luck with it mate, i've had enough of this camera, might just cut my losses and get a new cybershot model.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 6:17 PM   #13

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The contacts are probably just a bit dirty.** Wipe off the contacts on the cards well, and try inserting and removing the cards a few times in the camera to help clean the camera's contacts.

If that doesn't work and you've got a card reader, try formatting the card as FAT using Windows.*

Make sure to select FAT as the file system type from the drop down list you'll see (as Windows will use a 32 Bit FAT by default that is not compatible with your camera).

Panasonic also makes a utility to allow you to format SD media.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Once you get it so that the cards are recognized, I'd format them again using the camera's menu choice for format before using them.

You may also have more than one defective card (it happens).
JimC - Some great advice you have provided me there. However i am a little confused as to how i am to supposed to physically clean the contacts *inside* the camera?
The slot is so small that i couldn't even fit a pair of tweezers in there(yes, out of desperation) let alone something bigger, it's only a few millimetres, the memory slot. If the contacts are just dirty then that is a real grace for me as it is a quick, cheap fix. I just can't imagine what i can possibly fit into the slot that is so thin and will clean the contacts.
The seller was faithful that the memory slot was working when he gave it to me and i have not abused it since my ownership of the camera(gently inserting and ejecting card like my other SD devices).
In the meantime, i will endeavour to format the SD cards as FAT, either in windows or that 3rd party program you suggested. I don't have a memory card reader but i have a similar function on my printer so i will chuck the card into that and see if the computer can read it from there.
I will see how that goes and am anxiously waiting for your reply.
BTW, i took the camera to a local camera vendor and they wanted $88 just to look at the bloody thing, the whole camera only cost me $110, it's just a budget model camera.
I got out of that store FAST!
Thanks for your help.
jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2007, 7:04 PM   #14
Administrator

Inserting and removing the card can help clean the contacts (thanks to friction).

That's why I said this.

Quote:
Wipe off the contacts on the cards well, and try inserting and removing the cards a few times in the camera to help clean the camera's contacts.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote