Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old May 21, 2007, 6:24 AM   #1

Hi all,
I have just bought a second hand Kodak DX6440 digital camera from ebay. The problem is that when i insert my 512 MB memory card into the camera it comes up with a "format memory card" screen prompt(before card can be used)which i press "format" and it takes a few seconds to "format" and then the annoying message comes back, and doesn't dissapear.

At first i thought that my fireware needed upgrading, so iupgraded it to the latest version, to no avail. Iruled out fireware then and concluded that my SD card was incompatible with thiscamera model. The seller who i bought the camera off is very helpful and honest and swore that he has never had a problem with the SD memoryslot. He even sent me hisworking 128 MB SD card after the sale becausehe was positive that his card worked and was compatible in the camera because he was using the card in it!

I put the SD card in that he gave me, and the dreaded FORMAT CARD screen perpetuated again.

There is definitely something the matter with the pins(or connectors) that house the SD card inside the camera as the camera has failed to read 2 perfectly working SD cards. Is this a major problem and how can i get it fixed or resolve it? Is this a common fault in digital cameras?

If it's gonna cost too much to repair i will make sure i get a full refund from the seller and return the camera. He seems like a very trustworthy seller and went the extra mile to make sure i am happy with everything but the camera is pretty useless to me with a mere 16 MB of memory, which only equates to about 10 high quality 4 megapixel photos. I greatly appreciate any help provided. Cheers, Jean.

jmp1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2007, 11:06 AM   #2

I have the same problem with a Kodak LS443 digital camera. I was unable to download an uncorrupted copy ofupdated firmwarefrom the Kodak website, and asked Kodak support to email me the file. That was several days ago, and, other than the automated acknowledgement of my message, I have received no reply. I like the camera -- it's small, compact and handy -- but Kodak support really stinks. I will monitor your message to see if someone out there has an answer to this problem.
tjum225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2007, 2:58 PM   #3

tjum225 - I don't have a problem with obaining firmware. I fear that the pins that house the SD memory card are bent or damaged. I don't know as to how this happened as i am very gently in putting in the memory card.
On the contrary, i found Kodak's customer service to be top notch, emails are promptly replied and helpful.
Old May 22, 2007, 9:58 AM   #4

Thanks for reply. I re-sent my unanswered email request of 5/18/07 to Kodak today (5/22/07). Maybethe originalgot lost. Before the email request, I spoke to two reps on support line, one who tried to solve the problem, and one who kept reading out of a manual. Neither would send me firmware file by email, but suggested I make separate request to central support, which I have done without success. I tend to agree with you that problem is with contacts inside the camera, but thought I would try firmware upgrade to troubleshoot the problem before sending camera off for repair. BTW, repair estimate is $125.

Incidentally, you use term "fireware". Is this a typo for "firmware," or some term I am ignorant of?

Old May 23, 2007, 7:17 AM   #5

Yes, it's a bad type, lol.
Wow, $125 to repair the camera?
My camera is not even worth that much money! I would be better off throwing it in the bin or using it as spare parts!
Well i actually tried upgrading the firmware but it didn't work. I tried upgraded to the latest version of the proprietery "Easy share" crappy software and followed the instructions methodically but it comes up with a "transfer fail" error.
I am dissatisfied with the Kodak brand i will not be buying their cameras in the future. They are a good brand for mums and dads who don't know how to operate a camera and like to take photos of their children. pfffffft, i had enough of this camera i want to break it.
I am not gonna buy second hand electronics of ebay anymore , the seller refused to give me refund because he is faithful that the camera was 100% working, BS!!!
I already left him good feedback so i'm screwed.
Old May 23, 2007, 7:50 AM   #6

"...I tried upgrade to the latest version of the proprietery "Easy share" crappy software and followed the instructions methodically but it comes up with a "transfer fail" error."

My exact experience, and therefore, my anger at Kodak's "support."
Old May 23, 2007, 8:13 AM   #7

tjum225 wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for reply. I re-sent my unanswered email request of 5/18/07 to Kodak today (5/22/07). Maybethe originalgot lost. Before the email request, I spoke to two reps on support line, one who tried to solve the problem, and one who kept reading out of a manual. Neither would send me firmware file by email, but suggested I make separate request to central support, which I have done without success. I tend to agree with you that problem is with contacts inside the camera, but thought I would try firmware upgrade to troubleshoot the problem before sending camera off for repair. BTW, repair estimate is $125.

Incidentally, you use term "fireware". Is this a typo for "firmware," or some term I am ignorant of?

If you can't download the software from the web site why would you be able to download the same file from email. Especially since the file size as an email attachment is ~25% larger than it is as a binary.

Further, if the firmware update is an executable your ISP should filter it anyway.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 9:13 AM   #8
Administrator

The contacts are probably just a bit dirty. Wipe off the contacts on the cards well, and try inserting and removing the cards a few times in the camera to help clean the camera's contacts.

If that doesn't work and you've got a card reader, try formatting the card as FAT using Windows.

Make sure to select FAT as the file system type from the drop down list you'll see (as Windows will use a 32 Bit FAT by default that is not compatible with your camera).

Panasonic also makes a utility to allow you to format SD media.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...formatter.html

Once you get it so that the cards are recognized, I'd format them again using the camera's menu choice for format before using them.

You may also have more than one defective card (it happens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 9:36 AM   #9

jmp1987 wrote:
Quote:
There is definitely something the matter with the pins(or connectors) that house the SD card inside the camera as the camera has failed to read 2 perfectly working SD cards. Is this a major problem and how can i get it fixed or resolve it? Is this a common fault in digital cameras?

I don't think damaged pins is a common problem. I have one CF camera and two SD cameras (two of the three are Kodaks) and have not encountered pin problems. I also manage a fleet of 300+ Olympus Stylus series cameras with xD cards and have not encountered pin problems. Dirt might be a problem although I haven't encountered it. I'd try JimC's suggestions in case it's a dirt problem.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2007, 9:40 AM   #10
Administrator

Bent pins do happen from time to time in cameras using CompactFlash media -- not that often, but it happens.

But, with other media types, it's usually a bit of oxidation on them (if the contacts even are the issue), and just inserting and removing the cards a few times can usually solve that.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote