Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 7, 2003, 4:30 AM   #11

Why get frustrated? Do what I suggested put the write protect tab on every time you put a card into a reader connected to your favorite XP OS, copy off the pics (if you can) then erase or reformat in the camera.

Your cam supplier provided you with a camera and software that should work, now you are saying you're connecting 3rd party readers and other software and having problems. Why should the camera manufacturer feel responsible? You said you don't install any other software in XP - and I hinted at possible areas of problems which might be caused by drivers.

If you want to 'fly by wire' on XP, then crash and burn, you need the black box recorder to tell you what went wrong - doesn't XP do this?

I don't have any of these problems on 98 or 2K pro - just spend my time taking pictures and enjoying them afterwards.
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 8:31 AM   #12
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck
Your answer lies in simply not using windows XP. If you wish to change from Win2k (although proffesional is quite good) try ME. The problem with XP is they tried to make it do too much on its own. XP has more problems with it than the original windows (before 95).

I respectfully disagree.
Windows XP works just fine, and has so many nice enhancements that make it a delight to use with digital images. The computer knows when a card with digital images on it is inserted into the reader, and steps you through the process of transfering your images. You have the opportunity to custom name your images and select a destination folder, and optionally delete the pics from the card upon successful transfer.
The viewing and manipulation of images is greatly enhanced even over Win2K, and most certainly ME. Thumbnail, filmstrip view, rotation of images, and editing and printing are a snap thanks to the wizards included.

For example:
1. When you load pictures from two cards having the same filenames into the same directory, does your system automatically rename the pics starting at the next highest pic number?
2. Are thumbnails automatically generated by your operating system?
3. When printing pics, do you have the option of a contact sheet, walltet size, 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, or full sheet?
4. Do you occasionally get the dreaded "blue screen of death" and have to reboot with your operating system? Or do you simply get a window that says "Windows has encountered a serious error and is closing XXX aplication." I have never had to reboot XP to recover from any error.

While XP is vastly different than other operating systems, I feel strongly that the benefits far outweigh any problems with it. Please feel free to share your concerns with it in a public forum-- I am sure there are those who would like to debate the issue.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2003, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
does your system automatically rename the pics starting at the next highest pic number?
Quote:
and optionally delete the pics from the card upon successful transfer
I'd hope it's not doing that on my cam original media card, otherwise I might be asking why my media cards are being corrupted when replaced in my camera! I'd rather have live cards than dead ones and post transfer enhanced image features.

Perhaps lg, it all works on your system, but no two PC configs are ever the same. VOX
Old Aug 7, 2003, 2:27 PM   #14

I am having the same problem with my DANE ELEC SmartMedia card and getting the CARD ERROR! message when I try to insert the card back into the camera.

I am using a Kodak 3-in-1 card reader (CF, SM, and MS) which came with the smprep.exe file in the file path c:/program files/kodak/USB SmartMedia Reader/smprep.exe. I downloaded AXE editor and created the two files smprep1.exe and smprep2.exe. However, when I insert the SmartMedia Card into the reader and try to run smprep1.exe (or smprep2.exe or smprep.exe), I am getting an error message in Windows XP that states:

"SmartMedia unit is not present or the driver is not loaded"

XP is recognizing the damaged card and I can write files to the card using Windows Explorer, but smprep.exe will not run and pick up the card for some reason. All other cards are working fine with the reader. Does anyone have an idea of what it might be?
Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2003, 4:47 AM   #15

Blackjack, I've sent you a couple of PM's and warned you that playing with the smprep code may put your cards into a state you can't recover from, even running the original version. SMprep looks at the cards second copy of the CIS table, and rewrites a fresh copy, together with recalculating the error block info. for each sector header.

You may have produced and run code which has generated corrupt CIS tables (which you can't check!). Smprep does some checks on certain stored flags in the cards registers before it runs, if it sees errors or for some reason does not get a confirmation back of a write, it will go into an error routine.

If you've got a cheap sm card you know works in camera (like the 16Mb that shipped with the cam) try running smprep on your PC with it. If it won't run, then sort out that prob first.

I've just realised that smprep might be seeing your card as a 32bit FAT formatted card (done by XP?) This will stop it from running. Winhex will tell you what structure the card is formatted to and its cluster size. If it's saying 32 bit you, will have to check previous posts and try re-formatting as 16Bit FAT using DOS. When the card becomes 16bit FAT, then try running the original smprep.exe. VOX
Old Aug 8, 2003, 8:17 AM   #16
lg

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxmagna
Quote:
does your system automatically rename the pics starting at the next highest pic number?
Quote:
and optionally delete the pics from the card upon successful transfer
I'd hope it's not doing that on my cam original media card, otherwise I might be asking why my media cards are being corrupted when replaced in my camera! I'd rather have live cards than dead ones and post transfer enhanced image features.

Perhaps lg, it all works on your system, but no two PC configs are ever the same. VOX

VOX, here's a little more information about the two quotes above:

1. The renaming of pics is done ONLY on the computer-- no information is ever changed on the card! This was very handy last week when I took two cameras on vacation-- as you might imagine, pictures taken the same day with different cameras get the same file name (e.g., the file naming convention for today would start at P8080001 on both cameras). Take 100 pics with the first camera and 50 with the second, and the filenames overlap....

2. There is a check box in the picture transfer wizard that says something like "Delete pics from card after successful transfer?" By checking this box, the pics are deleted from the card only after successful transfer to the computer. I have never had a SmartMedia card error as a result of this operation.
Old Aug 8, 2003, 9:09 AM   #17

lg, Thanks for the clarification. I regularly delete cards in my reader from the Explorer window, and I delete all pics in the Fuji Directory in one go but still leaving their directory structure intact. I've never found 98SE writing back to the card anything I was not in control of or wished to avoid.

On some occasions I found corrupted jpegs after a mass copy from card to HD which I believed was USB related. But it proved you can get partial corupted images transferred, without warning and need to open them and check before deleting originals off card. Despite what assurances others might give about CRC checks on usb link transfers other might give! I have some interesting examples of pics with big black tears in them - and definitely 00's Hex in the files, but EOF markers and file sizes are still correct!
Old Aug 8, 2003, 10:48 AM   #18
lg

Blackjack, just in case you aren't familiar with DOS under XP, here's what you need to type at the command line in order to format a SmartMedia card in drive F: with 16-bit formatting:

format f:/fs:fat

I had the same problem once when I filled a SmartMedia card with hex 00's. Isn't it odd that you have to format your card in a manner that renders it unuseable in your camera in order to use SMPREP to fix it???!!! Let us know if you need more help.

After reading your private message to me, I just realized that I also have a Kodak card reader. I am not aware that SMPREP came with this reader, as I didn't install any of the software that came with it (card reader is plug n play). As far as I know, SMPREP does not work with my reader. Is it possible that you need a reader that is compatible with SMPREP?
Old Nov 5, 2003, 2:44 AM   #19

Hey! I have been having the same problem with my cards. My camera also shows the "card error" message. But it first appeared while i was reviewing the pictures in my camera. I never used a card reader. What could have caused the "error" while i was viewing my pictures?
dr. po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2003, 4:57 PM   #20
lg

dr. po, the most common error I have witnessed causing a SmartMedia format error in the camera is removing the card without first turning the power off. Removing a card while the card access light on is also likely to cause the card to be damaged.

While it is possible to physically damage a SmartMedia card, I have never personally encounted an error that couldn't be fixed using the SMPREP.EXE utility provided with many card readers. I am sure there are others who can shed more light on this subject for you, but this should give you a place to start looking.