Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Nov 5, 2003, 5:55 PM   #21

.........My camera also shows the "card error" message. But it first appeared while i was reviewing the pictures in my camera.

My, these posts have been going a while!

dr.po: try cleaning the gold flash contacts of your card with tissue and alcohol. As well as not removing a card during writes, never run the cam to flat batts. Taking a pic, or worse charging the flash and zooming or lcd 'on' when the batt warning is on can be a disaster, as most cam batts have crashed out as soon as the batt. low warning appears. Viewing pics is power intensive from the cam batts, this should be a read only operation, but if batts are low, reads could become random writes! As I said before, I think the write protect tab should help so if you've done some heavy shooting and are following with a lot of preview in cam on the same batts, put the little tab on first or change the batts. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2003, 10:36 PM   #22

Hey! thanks for the replies. I thought i had to send my card back to Sandisk. Which would be a big problem since the card was bought in the US. My problem now is how to get the card working again. It was mentioned that i can use smprep.exe to fix my card. I still have to buy a card reader/writer. I would just like to ask if an Iwill 6 in 1 card reader would do the job and if it's compatible with the smprep.exe. Tnx!
dr. po is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 2:52 AM   #23
lg

I'm not familiar with that brand... the Dazzle brand and many other DO come with SMPREP.EXE. Just inquire before you buy!
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2003, 5:32 AM   #24

Readers that don't work with SMprep.exe don't usually come with a software CD and rely on standard OS drivers - so that's the first thing to look for. The Dazzle CD included their DVd slideshow burner software and I thought that, as well as the prep utils was worth a bit extra. I don't think there's a prep for Microdrive or some newer memories. But SM cards are easier anyway to re-build as it is generic memory without proprietary drivers and firmware on the card.

My only criticism of my Dazzle reader is it didn't comply with the CF spec to include a CF card eject button (important with expensive cards). This might have changed now. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote