Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 5, 2003, 7:07 PM   #1

Default Smartmedia card error

I hope someone here has a viable solution.

I've searched google and found many more having the exact same problem. See here http://www.greenspun.com/bboard/q-an...?msg_id=003PlG

When I transfer images from my camera, all is ok. If I use any card reader, I can no longer use the card in my camera. Now why is that?

I do not format the card in the reader, just transfer pics over. I have now 5 smartmedia cards that either of my 2 cameras will not read. Always gives me "card error" message.

I have used 4 diff card readers, all the same thing happens. Is this a Windows XP problem? It never happened in w98 or 2k.

Is there any way to fix the cards so my cameras see them again?

And why is this hapopening?

I have tried to contact both fuji and olympus (my 2 cams) and both have been zero help.

Many thanks for any help or insight.
pcabuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:07 PM   #2
lg

The answer lies elsewhere in this forum. Simply put, when you deleted images from your card in the reader (or even rotated the images), you made the card unuseable in your camera. The FAT or FAT32 format that is expected by the card reader is different than the FAT12 format that is required by your camera.

Here's a link to one solution, which I use: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...634&highlight=

Check back in the earlier posts regarding SmartMedia card errors. If you can't find them, let us know and we'll point you in the right direction.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 10:13 PM   #3

Like I said, I did NOT format or delete any pics while the card was in the reader. All I do is transfer pics over, that is it.

I've searched all over and found nothing yet to be of any help. Tried searching for SMPREP.EXE, but that only works with certain readers.
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:36 PM   #4

As Voxmagna has preach repeatedly, please be sure that when you 'transfer the files over ' that you COPY the files as opposed to MOVE the files since MOVE performs a copy and delete operation. It is the delete part of the operation that most likely honks up the card.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2003, 11:41 PM   #5

I don't move the pics, I copy them over using that auto xp menu that pops up. It leave the pics on the card. It does it the exact same way when transferring from the cameras. Which I must do now unless someone has a solution to this.

So I guess no one knows about this problem.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:28 PM   #6
lg

1. Please accept the fact that you did do something to your cards while in the reader, however unintentional, that caused them to lose their formatting.
2. Read these posts, in this forum:
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=12352
http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ic.php?t=10371
3. If, after reading these posts, you still don't understand or need further help, please let us know and we'll do what we can to help.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 12:51 PM   #7

No friend, I did not do anything that caused this other than using a card reader. Everything tranfers exactly as how it does with the cameras. Something in the os must be causing this because, as I said, this never happened in w98 or w2k.

I've tried the things you linked to. I cannot use smprep because it will not install. I've tried to install it with each of the four readers connected, still will not install

I guess I'd need to buy a dazzle reader then.

Which means I'll just stick to using only the cameras to transfer files and accept my now 6 dead memory cards. So many people do have this exact same problem, it is a damn shame there is no easy solution. Looks almost like a plot to make others buy more memory.

Thanks for trying guys. 'preciate it
Old Aug 6, 2003, 3:18 PM   #8

Look, if you don't believe us, or don't know what your transfer software is doing, stick the write protect tab on another good card and repeat your 'copy only' method.

We can guarantee that if you get a 'can't write to media' error or a crash - that is what is happening, whether or not you think it isn't! I suppose there might be a faint outside possibility that your USB voltage might be faulty (should be 5V). If bad code is able to write to the cards CIS table normally hidden at the physical format level, there is no way that the camera or a normal reader will fix it. Most MP3 players actually do a low level format (like smprep) so this is why it's often a one way trip for those who share cards. If cameras gave the option of low level format (like MP3 players) there would be fewer problems - complain to the camera vendor, particularly Olympus.

Now there are more and more MP3 players with USB connectivity. Perhaps your XP thinks your reader is an MP3 player! Check whether it is using the readers own drivers or has installed something else.

I've said it before: smprep.exe is proprietary to SM micro readers which include Dazzle. You won't get this software which talks to specific chip registers to work unless the chipset is a SM micro clone (I think Sandisk ship their own recover utility for their readers) It's even neat that there is a smprep patch to make it create Oly card clones. If you have been trying to run smprep with a reader which accepts part of the code and writes it, who knows what garbage abuse might get put on your CIS tables. VOX
voxmagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2003, 3:35 PM   #9

It isn't that I don't "believe" anyone here, but it does seem no one thoroughly reads what I type. Or maybe I wasn't making myself clear enough.

I do not install any other software. In xp, it isn't necessary. I plug the usb device in, xp sees it and pops up a transfer window. The exact same one I get when either cameras are connected. I always choose "Copy pictures to a folder on my computer using microsoft camera and scanner wizard".

I tried using the reader software, same result.

I use the same usb connector, tried others. Same result.

As for smprep, as I said above, I have never been able to install it.

It isn't just here, I've posted and asked all around and no one has a solution to this problem.

Olympus and Fuji have been worthless in any replies. I always get the standard "card is defective, replace card". Duh. It is very frustrating.
Old Aug 6, 2003, 5:58 PM   #10

Although i don't know a whole lot about card readers and the likes, i do know a lot about computers. Your answer lies in simply not using windows XP. If you wish to change from Win2k (although proffesional is quite good) try ME. The problem with XP is they tried to make it do too much on its own. XP has more problems with it than the original windows (before 95).
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote