Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jun 23, 2007, 12:59 PM   #21

Jim, you must drink a lot of coffee ;-).

Right, I take on board what you're saying. My current version of Knoppix is old, it's actually the Knoppix Auditor distro which I use for wireless stuff. In terms of NTFS, I can see my partitions, but no I cannot write to them. Also, of course I can access the Internet but my cardneeds to be configured, but there seems to be a few bugs in the config wizard which is supposed to set this up for me. I could of course sift through this but I'm out and about so much at the moment, I just don't have enough time to fiddle with it.

So the issue at the moment is finding a means for using the dd_rescue and potentially the ddrescue utilities on the card, and being able to store an image to a drive. The distro you mention sounds very good, so I will definitely consider this, but I would prefer to investigate other avenues first, as I would have to do some serious house-cleaning on my machine to make space which could take time because I would have to backup some of my photos to DVD.

As a suggestion do you think there might be a Live CD which has NTFS support, would allow me to configure my network card easily, and also provide support for my MP3 player (to potentially store the image on)? This would save installing Linux.
Flasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 1:08 PM   #22
Administrator

You've got two issues with most Live CDs trying to do what you want, since it appears you don't have any non-NTFS partitions you can write to.

* ability to write to NTFS (you'll need a place to save disk images or recovered files).

* ability to install software from the network like photorec, testdisk, ddrescue, etc. Some distros will let you do that (if you have enough available ram, since they're using a ram disk for it). But, most won't.

Sidux 2007-2 will let you install from a Live CD (if you have the ram and a network connection). But, it doesn't have ntfs-3g preinstalled to write to NTFS.

I'm pretty sure one of the newer Knoppix releases does have NTFS-3G. But, I don't think it's considered to be a stable driver. Chances are, it would be fine (even the betas were very good with very few problems reported). But, use any of the drivers that can write to NTFS at your own risk. But, I do remember some things being a bit buggy with the last Knoppix Live CD I tried (and I think it was probably the most recent one).

So, from my perspective, it would probably be easier to do a hard disk install with a distro like SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02 to get what you need (just using the included GParted to resize your existing NTFS partition, and creating a 4GB or greater ext3 partition for linux, along with a Linux Swap partition of around 1GB. The driver it's using for NTFS-3G is not current. But, I think it's newer than the one in the last Knoppix release and it works fine for me.

P.S.

Have you got an old PC with a hard disk you could yank for use with Linux in your current system? (just install an extra drive dedicated to it if you don't have enough space to free up for Linux on your existing drive) It wouldn't have to be very large. You could probably get by with a 4GB drive in a pinch (although I'd suggest 6GB or greater to make sure you have room for any temp files these programs may try to create).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2007, 1:47 PM   #23
Administrator

Here is one that looks like it's got the needed programs on it. But, it's going to assume you understand Linux (how to mount your drives, etc.), and it has no Graphical User Interface (console only).

http://trinityhome.org/Home/index.ph...mp;front_id=12

I'd just install SimplyMEPIS 6.5.02. You can mount your NTFS partition with a mouse click from KDE (just click the home icon in the panel, go to storage media and click on the partition and it will be mounted read/write).

Then, navigate to it after installing the needed utilities. Your drive would probably be under /mnt/hda1 with SimplyMEPIS. So, you'd do something like this to run photorec (after installing it), saving recovered images to your Windows partition. With something like dd_rescue, you'd need to give it both a source and destination path if you need it instead, as shown in the article I posted a link to earlier in the thread. I'd try photorec first to see if it can read it without aborting on hard errors). Then, you wouldn't need to worry about creating an image file from the card first (although that may be needed for a badly damaged card).

su
apt-get update
apt-get install testdisk
cd /mnt/hda1
photorec

Old Jun 23, 2007, 2:07 PM   #24
Administrator

Flasher wrote:
Quote:
After reading some info in this forum I tried to use the Windows 'Disk Admin' utility to recreate the MBR, but whilst windows sees the drive, it just hangs when trying to access the card. :?
Question... Did you try photorec from Windows to see if it could read it without hanging? Is that what the other utilities did (hang trying to access it), or do they not see the card at all?

They have a Windows version you may want to try first. But, if the Windows driver is what's hanging because it's seeing hard errors, it may not work.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:38 AM   #25

I gave photorec and testdisk a go in Windows and it just hangs while trying to access the card.

I've since downloaded Knoppix 5.1 and it actually has everything I need. I can write to the NTFS partitions and the tools are preinstalled.

I tried to create an image from the card, but the card is not listed when I run the fdisk command, so dd_rescue can't be run. Not sure where to go from here, but Linux is looking good.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 9:53 AM   #26
Administrator

Unplug it and plug it back in again and see if that makes a difference. You may need to leave it unplugged at bootup and plug it in later or vice-versa, too.

Do testdisk or photorec see the card? My guess is not if fdisk -l isn't seeing it.

P.S.

I remember the lastest Knoppix I downloaded having some strange issues with partitions. For example GParted was hanging when I tried to use it. It appeared to be a bit on the buggy side. So, it may just be something with the way it's seeing the drives due to driver differences in that version.

Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:42 PM   #27

OK, photorec does not see any valid partitions, but does show an entry which is described as the 'whole disk'. It is being searched at the moment, my only slight concern is that I could not find the image filter type I need for the images i.e. CR2, I'm hoping that the Canon Raw filter (CRW I believe) will work.

testdisk sees the card, but fails when trying to analyse the partitions or writing the MBR - same as before.

I think the above photorec looks promising, although I would prefer to get an image file as well somehow.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 12:48 PM   #28

OK, photorec does not see any valid partitions, but does show an entry which is described as the 'whole disk'. It is being searched at the moment, my only slight concern is that I could not find the image filter type I need for the images i.e. CR2, I'm hoping that the Canon Raw filter (CRW I believe) will work.

testdisk sees the card, but fails when trying to analyse the partitions or writing the MBR - same as before.

I think the above photorec looks promising, although I would prefer to get an image file as well somehow.
Old Jun 24, 2007, 2:35 PM   #29
Administrator

Your MBR (first 512 bytes on the card) is probably trashed (either corrupted or hard errors). That's likely why fdisk -l isn't seeing it, even though the drive is recognized by testdisk and photorec. Updating the MBR is usually the first thing I try for a messed up card (using the technique I mentioned in my first post to this thread), and that usually lets other utilities see one if they're hanging because they can't understand the partition layout/drive geometry.

Note that using a standard IPL doesn't actually fix it (ranish only updates the first 256 bytes that way). I just use that technique as a quick fix to get by read problems. You'd still want to use another product to create a good partition layout later to reuse it (I usually just suggest members use Windows Disk Admin, as mentioned in my first post). Usually, it's just a corruption problem with the MBR and the card is still usable after your fix it.

But, unfortunately, it looks like the boot CD you have with Ranish doesn't have drivers that support your USB chipet and/or Reader. If you've got access to a different PC with a supported chipset and reader on it, you may want to try the technique in my first post again.

Did you see if testdisk would let you write the MBR back to it? You'd want it to recognize the correct parameters for it first. If it can actually write it back (it may not be able to), that may let it work better with other utilities.

If photorec can read from it, it will probably be able to recover your .cr2 files. It's a supported file type:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/File_...ed_By_PhotoRec

I wouldn't worry about trying to use any filters (I'd just let it look for anything it recognizes on it).

Note that there are some differences internally with .cr2 files, depending on the camera model that produced them. But, the photorec author has a good reputation for adding better support if you have a problem with the way it's working with a given file. If it can't find the files OK, Just send him a note about it, and he'll probably ask you to send him some known good samples of any file types it's having difficulty with.

It sounds like photorec may do what you need. If not, you can copy an entire drive versus an individual partition using tools like ddrescue or dd_rescue if you can't access the partition directly using utilities.

For example, I used this syntax recently to copy the contents from my first sata drive (/dev/sda in my system), which was crashed and physically damaged, to an ide drive (/dev/hdc in my system) using ddrescue (GNU ddrescue, debian package name of gddrescue):

su
ddrescue -v /dev/sda /dev/hdc

After completing the copy (which took the better part of 2 days it was so badly damaged, with thousands of hard errors along the way), I just ran testdisk against the new drive and updated the mbr/partition tables (so that it had the correct drive geometry information and partition table layout with what testdisk found). With a very badly damaged drive, it wouldn't be practical to run photorec directly against it (it could take weeks or months before it got through the drive if it's badly damaged since it waits on timeouts for hard errors before reading the next sector). lol

ddrescue is better at handling hard errors, since it automatically adjusts the block sizes to try and get what it can find from a sector when it encounters sector read or other hard errors. That way, you copy with the fastest utility you can find that handles the errors, then run the recovery utilities against a good drive that doesn't have any hard errors (only corrupted data).

Here's screen print showing it running:

You could probably copy the contents of a failed card to an image file versus another drive that way, too. Then, just copy the image file back to a new card so you can get it to where you can run image recovery utilities against it. I haven't tried it that way. But, in theory it should work. It's just a file containing the same info you're going to copy back to a drive as a block device.

If you use that technique, you'll need to run testdisk against the new drive/card and let it update the MBR/Partition tables with the correct drive geometery/partition information (espcially if the original mbr is damaged, and especially if the drives/cards are not identical)..