Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 3, 2007, 10:05 PM   #11

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
For me a major problem with CD's is they only hold about 500mb each.

depends if you use Roxio's DirectCD, then yes you get about 520mb. You can delete and over write files;however, this method is risky. Also, you cannot view the pics on TV.

If you use DataCD, then you get the full 700mb, but you cant delete and
overwrite files.

romphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 1:13 PM   #12

Yikes, I never even considered the R/W CD's :-)

Here is my main reason CD's really are not a viable option.

This is one image from our last trip (rained 5 out of 6 days, figures,
The Kata-bags E702 rain cover really proved to be usefull!)
The file size is 14463*4740 pixels 16bit image taking 401,715K of space.
It is a panorama consisting of 8 stitched images, even without making the panorama a CD will only hold maybe 10 images. In a weeks travel I can easily come back with a few thousand images.

For the time being I have settled on filling up firewire connected mirrored terabyte storage units and single layer DVDs as a sort of insurance in case both dirves in the storage unit fail.

( At 240 dpi it prints to about 20 * 60 inches without any interpolation :G )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/silverw...dio/759908798/

Peter.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 2:11 PM   #13

PeterP wrote:
Quote:
Yikes, I never even considered the R/W CD's :-)
Don't. Not for backing up. They can be erased. CD-Rs can't.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2007, 10:32 PM   #14

Another thing to consider with CD/RW's is they aren't always readable in every computer. Have learned that the hard way. :shock:

For right now my photos are on three different hard drives. But, I plan on putting them to CD also as another alternative.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2007, 2:20 AM   #15

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
Another thing to consider with CD/RW's is they aren't always readable in every computer.
Correct, although that is less true today than it was a couple of years ago.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:55 AM   #16

That's interesting to know. I had just stayed away from them ever since my fiasco about 5 years ago. I had brought my presentation on CD-RW to the place and their computers wouldn't read it. Luckily my husband was home and could send it to me via e-mail.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 12:20 PM   #17

All those old computers with the old CD-ROM drives that couldn't read those "new-fangled" CD formats, are being replaced through attrition, so that, today, they are almost gone.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 7:36 PM   #18

Hello Everyone

Sorry if you thought I was not appreciative for your efforts in replying to my post..

Afraid that I forgot that I posted here asking for advice / help in choosing a backup methodology..

I am grateful to all who answered my post..

I have a lot of information & advice to sift through..

Do I get the sense that at least for the present that no backup medium is in any way achcival??

That constant yearly / bi-yearly effort will have to be expended to transfer data fromlikemedium-to-like medium, or from one medium to another medium??

That most of the storage mediums are "new" to the point that long term data on archivivability is just not available??

That because of lack of data on the longevity of storage mediums, & the willingness of these mediums to fail with no advance notice, that it is sensible to backup onto at least three different sources of data storage??

That storage mediums are constantly being made obsolete..To keep up-to-date& to switch to the newer forms of data storage so as to have one copy of backup on the newer form of data storage??

That at least for the present no form of electronic data storage has anywhere near the longevity of a properly cared for silver negative or print??

Bruce
baltochef920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:58 PM   #19

I think you may be extrapolating some of this advice a little too far.

There are some very good and inexpensive ways to back up. My advice is to not put all your eggs in one basket. That is, don't count on any one method to be there when you need it.

Everything will eventually fail, so you need to plan for multiple eventualities. Use different types of media and different brands of media. And remember, the original photos are the only things that can not be replaced, so they should be your primary concern.

CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, DVD+Rs and tapes are all good media for near-line or off-line storage (to recover from catastrophic failures and from stupid mistakes.) RAID systems reduce the likelihood of catastrophic failures, but do not eliminate it entirely, and do nothing to protect you from stupid mistakes. External hard disk drives are convenient, but not very reliable, the amount of storage is finite, and the cost per gigabyte is high when compared to removable media. In addition, internet backup is probably more reliable than anything you could have in your home.

As I said in my first post, there are lots of ways to back up; I recommend all of them. There is no bad method of backing up (except backups that you can't restore), but some are better than others. Back up any way you can. You can't ever know which method will work for you when you need it, until after you've needed it. And that method might not work next time you need it.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:57 PM   #20

I always save one copy of my photos to wither a CD-R or a DVR-R and the other copy goes onto a 300GB hard drive in my netgear storage server.

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote