Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Jul 25, 2007, 7:53 PM   #1

I just found on Ebay the CF 8gb on Ebay only $40 when search for compact flash 8gb,
SEAGATE 8GB CF II COMPACT FLASH MICRODRIVE LQQK
Any body know about this card, because the price is too low so I need to check with my friends here...give me some advice...

SONY R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:05 AM   #2

First check with other folks using the same camera that you have. You need to be able to use CF type II. Very commonly there will be a longer pause between shots using a microdrive. Bad for burst rates for sure, but how bad depends on the camera.

Some folks will go on about how fagile microdrives are. Obviously they are more likely to break down than solid state, but the number of failures is small. I have a 1G microdrive that is still working after about five years, though it doesn't get much use anymore.

The other phoney issue you will hear about is the "all your eggs in one basket". That argument ignores the fact that pretty much all memory failures are due to handling - and are very rare. Since using smaller cards means more handling, the analogy is to using several smaller cards is like "Putting your eggs in different baskets, then dropping some of those extra baskets."

The only advantage of a microdrive is price: only you can determine how important that is to you.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2007, 11:29 AM   #3

I am using the Sony R1 and Sony Alpha A 100 ...so can I use the microdrive CF card for my cameras.... Micro drive is smaller then regualar CF flash ??? so if we use it may be we need the adapter ??? Or the micro drive CF only uve for some small devices like phone...etc ...???

Please tell me the different...any one ????

SONY R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2007, 3:40 PM   #4

The microdrive (CF type II) is thicker than solid state CF. I know they work in the Konica-Minolta 5d so they should work in the Sony: read your manual to find out for sure.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote