Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > Memory Cards, Microdrives, Card Readers

Old Aug 7, 2007, 11:47 PM   #1

I know I know smart media cards are dead.... However my grandfather inherited an old Olympus C-2100 camera for freewith an 8MB memory card. He would like more memory so he can take more pictures when he goes traveling.

I've been looking on line for a 64MB or 128MB smart media cards but no one seems to stock them and I DON'T trust the listings I see on E-bay to be ligit.

Any ideas appreciated. Igues my best bet would be to buy him another camera with an SD card or CF card slot.

Thanks

dave
Photo 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2007, 8:00 AM   #2

It seems that production of SmartMedia cards stopped a few years ago. If your grandfather wants to keep the C-2100, probably the only place to get the cards is eBay.

And there were compatibility issues with SmartMedia that you may have trouble resolving. While SmartMedia cards were produced in capacities up to (I believe) 256MB, many devices could only handle SmartMedia with a capacity as small as 32MB. So you may find a 128MB SmartMedia card, but you may not be able to use it.

Good luck.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2007, 10:53 AM   #3
Administrator

That's a very nice camera with a sharp, stablized zoom lens. It's a classic, and it's affectionately referred to as the "Uzi".

If it were mine, I'd hang on to it if it's in mint condition and works fine, despite the obsolete card format with very expensive cards by today's standards, even if I had to spend $100 for a card to use. Chances are, it would work great for your Grandfather, as long as print sizes didn't exceed around 8x10".

It will work with Smartmedia cards up to 128MB (the max size they were made in).

You can still find them new from some vendors (for example, buy.com has a 128MB Smartmedia card made by Edge). But, they're very expensive.

Ebay is your best bet. Just search for Smartmedia and check out the vendor carefully.

You may also want to look around on Ebay for older Olympus, Fuji or Toshiba cameras that include SmartMedia cards. You may find an old camera that's a cheap or defective model that includes cards in a package at a bargain price. I've seen people post that they were buying packages like that a while back, just to get the Smartmedia cards and resell them. lol

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2007, 10:04 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice. I will do soe checking today.

dave
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:08 AM   #5

Jim would I be able to use a smart media to xD card adaptor in the camera and get the camera card dawer to close (so it will operate properly), Then I could buy him a 128MB xD card for the camera and he;d be set to go.

I haven't been able to locate any SM cards other than on ebay and I don't trust ebay anymoreas I have several things go south on me inculding one item I paid for and the stealer ran on me and never shipped it....... I can get a SM to xD card adaptor through bhphotovideo.

I will be visiting my granfather in about 3 weeks and want to set him up when I am there.

thanks

dave
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Administrator

I'm not aware of any XdPictureCard to Smartmedia adapter that would work in a camera, and I don't even see one like you're describing under Card Adapters at B&H. The only adapter I see that takes Smartmedia is a Sandisk adapter designed to fit into a PCMCIA slot.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/1..._Adapters.html

There are a few SD to CompactFlash adapters around now. But, most of those won't work in a camera (although some will). But, I'm not aware of anyone marketing an adapter that lets you use Xd Picturecard in a camera designed to take Smartmedia. I have seen some listed at dealers from time to time. But, they would be too large for use in a camera (they would protrude from the card slot).

Personally, I'd go with one of the Ebay sellers (after you check their feedback carefully to avoid sellers without very good reputations). That's probably your best bet for finding Smartmedia at an affordable price.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:17 PM   #7

Hello,

I also have an Uzi, which I dearly love. I have had her since 2002 when I got her used on eBay for close to $500. But now, there is that pesky problem with getting smart media cards for it. Fortunately I have found that eBay is the best place to get them, too. So, that's where I go for them. Also, the Uzi will work well with up to the the 128mb cards - but no larger.

Attached is one of Uzi's pictures. Taken in Alaska where hubby and I went for our 25th wedding annivesary.

Bought the Uzi a pal yesterday - the C-550UZ. We'll see how they compare. I am already enamored of the compactness of the 550 vz the Uzi, but the Uzi is an old freind. The new one's going to take some getting used to and hopefully will perform well for me.

~Tiger

Attached Images

TigerLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:45 AM   #8

Contact Staples office supply, I ordered a 64 and a 128, it was back ordered but finally got both of them.
Flagcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 6:07 AM   #9

I've used the vendor below and found them to be reliable. Only 32 MB at$30 US but at least they're still out there.

http://www.flash-memory-store.com/32mb-smart-media.html
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2007, 1:42 PM   #10

Thanks

dave